Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Booking System, Cancellation Possibility, Automated Confirmation Mails @Joffm

• mnorden
  • mnorden's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #244458 by mnorden
Dear community,

we're hosting LimeSurvey on our university servers and want to use its power for implementing a booking system for our studies. I've already found this answer which is very related to our topic[url] forums.limesurvey.org/forum/german-forum...it-limesurvey#187399 [/url].
We want to implement a similar booking system where participants can book a slot which is then blocked for the following users
From the mentioned answer by @Joffm I am missing some details on the ajax call and the specifics of the survey even if it is already a really nice description! Maybe it would be possible to upload a template for this?
In a follow-up question after having booked a slot, participants would then fill in their name and e-mail contact. 
Afterwards, a confirmation mail should be sent to the received e-mail contact and another confirmation mail should be sent to our study team.
Would this be possible? We would also have to implement some mail-service on our machine, right?

A second necessary requirement would be that participants can cancel their previous selection. Upon doing this, the slot should be available again and a confirmation of the cancellation should be sent to the participant e-mail and the study team.
From my understanding of LimeSurvey functionality, I think, it is possible, but a bit more complicated. I appreciate your help here (German answers are welcome, too).

Thanks a lot,
mnorden
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by mnorden. Reason: Adressing Joffm directly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #244468 by Joffm
Hi,
quick answer from my phone.
The mentioned thread is more than 3 years old.

Because of some plugins there is no ajax call needed.
I can't be more specific as you not only ignored the questions at the beginning but removed them.

You find some ideas in my "Tutorial 3: Gimmicks..." in the German part.
Just search for it. page 6,7 or 8

Joffm

But to be honest.
There are better specialized tools to achieve your requirements.
Limesurvey is not really thought for that.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• mnorden
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #244471 by mnorden
Hey Joffm,

thank you for replying.
I am sorry but I am not aware of having removed anything? I didn't see any questions from your side?

If I accidentally removed something (maybe when I changed the topic title?), please just send the questions again.

We know that there are better pure booking solutions but we would like to implement something on our own servers and combine it with some other survey-functions (check boxes). So far, we've used the DFN online calendar but it's not very customizable.

I'll check out your tutorial but would still be happy to follow up on this.

Thanks a lot,
mnorden

• Joffm
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #244472 by Joffm
I talked about these questions which appear when you open a new topic.

And, well, everything is rather easy wuth the usual obstacles of an online survey.
Meaning: I time slot is closed as soon a respondent submits the survey.
But if two or more respondents are online at the same time all will see an open slot.

If you take in account not submitted surveys (function included since 5.x.) you might close a slot although the respondent changed his mind and just closed the browser window.

And the real challenge is the cancellation. How do you imagine this to work?

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• mnorden
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #244475 by mnorden
Ah sorry, that's true.
Here is the version, we're using:
LimeSurvey Community Edition
Version 3.27.24+211108
What kind of template do you need?

I see your points with respect to double bookings. That could be an issue. Maybe then having two surveys would be better: One for just booking which is directly ended after the study. 
And an automated redirect (handing over the response from the first survey) to a follow-up survey for additional infos (e-mail, check ups) etc. To keep the time as short as possible that a user can "block" the date.

The cancellation is hard. Maybe we can have a hidden question in survey 1 that is automatically filled in with a pre-defined panel integration. Only users, who have booked a slot in survey 1 will get this link in their confirmation mail. Maybe this link can also include the previously (in survey 1) chosen date option and then be used (via panel integration) to modify the survey again. I think, it's rather complicated, yes. But maybe we can find a "hacky" solution.

Thanks for your help,

mnorden

• holch
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #244480 by holch
Before your university thinks about implementing a booking system, they should think about updating. :-)

Your LS Version 3.27.24+211108 hasn't received any update, bug fix or security patch since 08/11/2021. This means 1,5 years without update for a software that is used to collect personal data (e.g. for booking courses) for sure isn't what GDPR/DSVGO considers "state of the art software". :-)

And I don't think that cancelling a booking is possible, once the survey has been completed. At least nothing automatic.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose