Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomization questions in question group and conditional response question

• peppermintss
  • peppermintss's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #244339 by peppermintss
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template: 5.6.16
==================
Hi I am not sure whether this is answered but I did not seem to find it. I would like to randomize questions in a question group and display another question directly after this previous question on a different page based on the conditional response chosen in the previous question. What are the settings I should use or ways to do this (no CSS etc codes please)?

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 months 1 week ago #244340 by Joffm
Hi,
sorry, I did not understand your scenario.
Please,
provide a lss export of these relevant questions,
answer the questions at the beginning which you didn't answer yet.

Joffm 

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• peppermintss
More
10 months 1 week ago #244341 by peppermintss
Hi Joffm,

Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 5.6.16
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: LimeSurvey hosting under UZH
Survey theme/template: UZH theme
==================

Sorry it might not be convenient to share an LSS export. I will provide an example here. For example, I have a question group that has questions Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, each with answering options 1 = strongly disagree to 5 = strongly agree. These questions of Q1 to Q6 will be displayed separately on each page. I would like to randomize these questions in this group. I know how to do this. However, I would like Q5 to always appear after Q4 regardless of the order of the other questions. Q5 will also be displayed depending on what the response of Q4 is. For example, Q5 will be displayed if the answering for Q4 is strongly disagree.

Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Thank you!

• holch
More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #244343 by holch
Why would it not be "convenient" to share an LS export? For you? Because I am sure it would be "convenient" for Joffm, otherwise he wouldn't have asked for it.

Look, we don't want your whole survey, we don't care. A sample that shows the problem is enough.

Anyway. I think you need to have a group per each question Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q6. Then for Q4 and Q5 you create one group. Then instead of randomizing the questions, you randomize the groups.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by holch.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
10 months 1 week ago #244345 by Joffm
As @holch,
to add,
Show Q5 by condition "Q4==5", or however you coded "strongly disagree".

It's a real pity that you do not want to ease the life of us volunteers who use out spare time to help people like you.
If you'd provided a lss export you would have get back the survey with the solved problem.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• peppermintss
More
10 months 1 week ago #244350 by peppermintss
Hi both,

Thank you for providing very helpful answers and replying so promptly. I understand that you are just volunteers that are helping and I appreciate that very much. I also have to explain myself: Please also do understand that it is my first time using this forum and I am a new LimeSurvey user as you can also see from my badge. That said, I do not understand the repercussions of having to share the LSS export file so publicly here for everyone to see. It is also not my own project but we are working as a team so I do not know if my collaborators would welcome that. Also, from the LSS export file, you are not able to see the problem this time and I would still have to describe it anyway so I am not sure how helpful it would really be.

Bearing what you have said in mind, to also ease your lives, I would only show a sample next time when I ask for help.

• holch
More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #244361 by holch
Don't worry. It is not a big deal. Your "it is not convenient" just sounded a little odd so I made a snide comment. 

The thing with LSS files is that it can save us a lot of back and forth. Because experience shows, that people usually only tell us "half the story" in the forum. Often we see a lot of back and forth that could have actually be solved quite quickly with a simple LSS export.

And just so you know: we totally understand that you can't (or don't want to) share your complete survey.

Actually, as I said, we prefer not to have the whole survey, but rather a copy with only the relevant parts (and the questions and answeroptions can be "anonymized", or if it is easier, a quick mockup of the issue.

At the end, this was not the case here, but sometimes we have an idea on how to solve the issue, but would need to test and play around ourselves. Then a small sample survey comes very handy, as we don't have to create a mockup based on your described scenario (which at the end might be different as we imagined) and can directly work on your base design.

However, in your second explanation it seems like you could convey your issue in a way that we could understand it and find a solution.

So I assume you could solve your issue? If not, let us know. We are both generally quite friendly and don't bite, at least most of the time. :-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by holch.

• peppermintss
More
10 months 1 week ago #244397 by peppermintss
Yes the issue was resolved, thanks for your help!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose