Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

randomize items in question type "list with comment"

• Anna3210
  • Anna3210's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #206184 by Anna3210
Hi everyone,I am new to LimeSurvey and quite desperate at this point.. I created a small survey with 15 questions where participants hear two audiofiles and then have to choose the one they like better and give reasons. I was successful in integrating the audiofiles and randomize the questions. Now I also want to randomize the answer options ("prefer audiofile 1", "prefer audiofile 2"). I know there should be a very simple solution: survey-consulting.com/how-to-randomize-items-at-limesurvey/ However, nothing happens. I also tried to select all questions and go with "show subquestions and answer items in randomized order". Again, nothing happens. Instead there is a very long error report.

Teilfragen und Antwortoptionen in zufälliger Reihenfolge anzeigen
{"success":false,"message":"CDbCommand konnte das SQL-Statement nicht ausf\u00fchren: SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'language' in 'where clause'","error":{"code":500,"type":"CDbException","errorCode":42,"message":"CDbCommand konnte das SQL-Statement nicht ausf\u00fchren: SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'language' in 'where clause'","file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/CDbCommand.php","line":543,"trace":"#0 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/CDbCommand.php(415): CDbCommand->queryInternal('fetch', Array, Array)\n#1 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/ar\/CActiveRecord.php(1359): CDbCommand->queryRow()\n#2 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/models\/LSActiveRecord.php(74): CActiveRecord->query(Object(CDbCriteria), false)\n#3 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/ar\/CActiveRecord.php(1464): LSActiveRecord->query(Object(CDbCriteria))\n#4 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/models\/QuestionAttribute.php(169): CActiveRecord->find('qid=:qid and la...', Array)\n#5 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/controllers\/admin\/questions.php(1198): QuestionAttribute->setMultiple('323544', Array, Array, Array)\n#6 [internal function]: questions->setMultipleAttributes()\n#7 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/actions\/CAction.php(109): ReflectionMethod->invokeArgs(Object(questions), Array)\n#8 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/core\/Survey_Common_Action.php(86): CAction->runWithParamsInternal(Object(questions), Object(ReflectionMethod), Array)\n#9 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php(308): Survey_Common_Action->runWithParams(Array)\n#10 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php(286): CController->runAction(Object(questions))\n#11 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php(265): CController->runActionWithFilters(Object(questions), Array)\n#12 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/controllers\/AdminController.php(180): CController->run('questions')\n#13 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CWebApplication.php(282): AdminController->run('questions')\n#14 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CWebApplication.php(141): CWebApplication->runController('admin\/questions...')\n#15 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/base\/CApplication.php(185): CWebApplication->processRequest()\n#16 \/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/index.php(182): CApplication->run()\n#17 {main}","traces":[{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/CDbCommand.php","line":415,"function":"queryInternal","class":"CDbCommand","type":"->","args":["fetch",[2],[]]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/ar\/CActiveRecord.php","line":1359,"function":"queryRow","class":"CDbCommand","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/models\/LSActiveRecord.php","line":74,"function":"query","class":"CActiveRecord","type":"->","args":[{"select":"*","distinct":false,"condition":"qid=:qid and language=:language and sid=:sid","params":{":qid":"566589",":language":null,":sid":"323544"},"limit":1,"offset":-1,"order":"","group":"","join":"","having":"","with":null,"alias":null,"together":null,"index":null,"scopes":null},false]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/db\/ar\/CActiveRecord.php","line":1464,"function":"query","class":"LSActiveRecord","type":"->","args":[{"select":"*","distinct":false,"condition":"qid=:qid and language=:language and sid=:sid","params":{":qid":"566589",":language":null,":sid":"323544"},"limit":1,"offset":-1,"order":"","group":"","join":"","having":"","with":null,"alias":null,"together":null,"index":null,"scopes":null}]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/models\/QuestionAttribute.php","line":169,"function":"find","class":"CActiveRecord","type":"->","args":["qid=:qid and language=:language and sid=:sid",{":qid":"566589",":language":null,":sid":"323544"}]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/controllers\/admin\/questions.php","line":1198,"function":"setMultiple","class":"QuestionAttribute","type":"->","args":["323544",["566589"],["random_order"],["!","A","B","C","E","F","H","K","L","M","O","P","Q","R","W","Z","1",":",";"]]},{"function":"setMultipleAttributes","class":"questions","type":"->","args":[],"file":"unknown","line":0},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/actions\/CAction.php","line":109,"function":"invokeArgs","class":"ReflectionMethod","type":"->","args":[{},[]]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/core\/Survey_Common_Action.php","line":86,"function":"runWithParamsInternal","class":"CAction","type":"->","args":[{},{"name":"setMultipleAttributes","class":"questions"},{"sa":"setMultipleAttributes","iSurveyId":"323544","iSurveyID":"323544","surveyid":"323544","sid":"323544"}]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php","line":308,"function":"runWithParams","class":"Survey_Common_Action","type":"->","args":[{"sa":"setMultipleAttributes","iSurveyId":"323544","iSurveyID":"323544","surveyid":"323544","sid":"323544"}]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php","line":286,"function":"runAction","class":"CController","type":"->","args":[{}]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CController.php","line":265,"function":"runActionWithFilters","class":"CController","type":"->","args":[{},[]]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/application\/controllers\/AdminController.php","line":180,"function":"run","class":"CController","type":"->","args":["questions"]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CWebApplication.php","line":282,"function":"run","class":"AdminController","type":"->","args":["questions"]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/web\/CWebApplication.php","line":141,"function":"runController","class":"CWebApplication","type":"->","args":["admin\/questions\/sa\/setMultipleAttributes"]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/framework\/base\/CApplication.php","line":185,"function":"processRequest","class":"CWebApplication","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"\/usr\/local\/www\/appl\/limesurvey\/limesurvey-4.3.16+202009\/index.php","line":182,"function":"run","class":"CApplication","type":"->","args":[]}]}}

Does anyone know what that means?? Unfortunately, I have no programming skills. However, friends of mine do. If there is a simple code to randomize items, that would also work.. I am very thankful for any advice! Anna
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #206186 by Joffm
Hi, Anna,
1. which exact version of 4.x. are you using? We do not recommend 4.x. at the moment. There are still a lot of bugs.
2. You only have to show the audiofiles in random order by entering the same "randomization name". This you did obviously.
3. The setting of "random order" = YES should be sufficient to display the answer options in random order.

Nothing else.

Here an example. (Blind, wie ich bin, it is a "normal" list(radio). But that doesn't matter at all)

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...5642.lss
File Size:31 KB

If there remain problems you should send a lss export of your survey.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Joffm.
  • Anna3210
More
3 years 6 months ago #206189 by Anna3210
Hi Joffm,

wow, thanks for that quick reply! I am using the version 4.3.16+200915 - that's the one our university provides. It's a shame that it doesn't work properly.

I followed the steps you described and still do have problems, so I attached an lss export. If you'd be able to check that and tell me what the problem is, that would be awesome!

Thanks a lot.
Anna
  • holch
  • Away
More
3 years 6 months ago #206197 by holch
Funny enough, usually the universities run "ancient" version of Limesurvey, but when there is a version that is not "so stable" at the beginning, they all run updates (which they NEVER do). Luckily enough at least the LS 4.x they have installed is less than a month old, but there can be still quite a lot of bugs, which is why we recommend not to use LS 4.x for production, only for testing.
Ich wette, es ist ein Bug in deiner LS version, aber mal sehen ob ich deine Datei importiert bekomme.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #206204 by Joffm
Hi, Anna,
and you have problems in these list(radio) with comment questions?

And now I tell you - though @holch again will laugh about it:
Better to ask in the German section. Then we all can discuss without a language gap.

Nevertheless I will have a look.

If it seems to be a bug, there is a workaround.
You create a random number (1-2)
two questions Q00004a (Version 1 - Version 2) and Q00004b (Version 2 - Version 1)
display one of them according to the random number by relevance equation.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Joffm.
  • Anna3210
More
3 years 6 months ago #206208 by Anna3210
Ich hab keine Ahnung, warum... Thanks for checking, I appreciate!
  • Anna3210
More
3 years 6 months ago #206209 by Anna3210
Hi Joffm,

yes, exactly, I have a problem in the list with comment questions.

I supposed there would be more of a chance to get an answer when posting in the English forum. But of course, it's much more convenient for me to write my question in German! I'll post there again, since I am still not so sure on how to proceed. :/

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose