Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Call variable/equation as text in answer choice

• Masalas
  • Masalas's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #203514 by Masalas
Apologies for this - probably trivial - question. I'm even missing the right search terms to find anything in the limesurvey manual / here in the forum. I'm also missing the correct names of menu items because our LS installation is not in English. And I'm a complete LS newb.

I've got a "template" survey here (created by someone else in LS 2, and that someone cannot be contacted anymore). The template can be used to easily perform user evaluations for multiple websites: Each website provider only has to adjust a few variables/equations - such "meta data" is being coded as questions (type: equations). One of them is the name of the website that shall be evaluated. I.e., I've got a "question" of type equation with code NameOfWebsite, and the item text could be mysmallwebsite.org.

Several questions in the survey are like this: "Please rate your first impression of {NameOfWebsite}", which works just fine. However, one of the matrix survey questions needs this text in every sub question, e.g.:
  • I think, the provider of {NameOfWebsite} is a badass. 1 2 3 4 5
  • {NameOfWebsite} does a good job in {PurposeOfWebsite}
  • etc.
And this does not work. It used to work in LimeSurvey 2 (with a custom LS theme that's not compatible with LS 3), so I'm confident it still works in LS 3. But how?

If anyone could point me to the right place in the manual of a thread here, that would be grand!

LimeSurvey 3.20.2+191119, fruity theme with no relevant adjustments.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Masalas.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 8 months ago #203517 by tpartner
At first glance it should work.

Are there any errors in the syntax file?

Can you attach a small sample survey (.lss file) containing only the relevant questions?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masalas
  • Masalas
  • Masalas's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #203531 by Masalas
Oh my, it does work.
I I had that question disabled (via relevance = 0) because it's not part of the standard item set and I'm only working on the template, not currently performing a specific survey. I was expecting the "variable" to show up in the question preview because that's how it works in the survey software I usually use for "static variables" (that's an oxymoron right there, but you know what I mean).
I enabled the question for the survey, and it works.

Sorry, should have checked that earlier. Thanks for the offer and quick reply, though @tpartner!

Cheers
Martin
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Masalas.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose