Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Language version tailoring

• Trifon
  • Trifon's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #159445 by Trifon
Language version tailoring was created by Trifon
Hi, This may be a no-brainer, but did not find answer from manual / forum:
I have a non-anonymous survey with 3 language versions. I want to send invitations / reminders to certain participants in english and in some other language for someone else. How to tailor the language of invitations / reminders? Do I need a custom attribute of some kind, indicating the language version for every participant?
Thank you.
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 5 months ago #159447 by steve_81
Replied by steve_81 on topic Language version tailoring
Hi Trifon,

adding a new participant you are forced to make a choice in the field "Language". With this setting the system uses the correct email template automatically. Of course you can edit the several email templates at "Invitations & reminders" -> "Edit email templates"

Nice Greets
Steve
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #159460 by Trifon
Replied by Trifon on topic Language version tailoring
Yes, I know the manual process, but in my case I imported the participants from csv. Sorry I didn't mention this key point..
And the n > 15 000, so manual is not an option.
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Trifon.
More
6 years 5 months ago #159466 by steve_81
Replied by steve_81 on topic Language version tailoring
Okay, thats a difference.

How do you know, which language the user will use? If you know it before sending an invitation, can you import the .csv file again after adding a column with header "language"?
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago #159471 by Trifon
The respondents are members of our organization, and we know their preferred language of service. So in addition to mandatory columns (EMAIL etc.) and custom attributes, I need LANGAUGE column also. That's what I thought also. Thanks.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 5 months ago #159482 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Language version tailoring
You can export the existing tokens to see the required CSV format.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago #159498 by Trifon

tpartner wrote: You can export the existing tokens to see the required CSV format.

Yes. I assume, that it is not possible to add the language information to token table / participants table in an active survey. Thus the reminders would be able use the language information. But, as said, sounds impossible to me. Am I right?
  • tpartner
More
6 years 5 months ago #159499 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Language version tailoring
Ah, I did not realize that the survey was active. I suppose you could export the tokens, modify the CSV, delete existing tokens and import the CSV but there would be a brief interval where the survey would be inaccessible.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago #159542 by Trifon
Yes it is active and running, and I can't have any or intervals or do anything else too "risky", because this business critical data collection so to say with n=15 000.

But I just found the batch-edit function for the participants table under the Selected participants -tab! With this I should be able to make changes to participant table information collectively, right? But language is not among the fields in Batch edit / general. Why? All other general fields are there and also my custom attributes. This must be a bug, right?
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago #159544 by Trifon
Oh no, just realized that the batch-edit doesn't allow me to do any changes, propably because the survey is active. I didn't check that until now. Anyhow, the "language" is still missing. Shouldn't it be there also?
  • Trifon
More
6 years 5 months ago #159545 by Trifon
I still can change the languages to participant table one-by-one in an active survey, so why it is impossible to do it in "batches".

I totally realise that I supposed to have adjusted the language before launching the survey, but ability to modify the at least some of the participant table information "on the fly" would be super-cool. In my case it would save me from doing few thousand changes one-by-one.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose