Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #158164 by Jmantysalo
Jmantysalo created the topic: Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
What would be cleanest way to add a "other"-option to a slider question (i.e. multiple numerical input, slider type)? I mean something like:

When visiting Finland, how much you like to:

Go to a sauna
|---o----|
See the midnight sun
|----o---|
Other: ________
|----o---|

I am thinkig something like a short text question and a slider array of one subquestion, but then I should remove the header from the slider array. (And how to do that?)
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Jmantysalo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #158201 by Joffm
Joffm replied the topic: Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input
Hello, Jmantysalo,
I have no answer to your question.

But I like to say something general.
I know many people like this kind of question (An "Other" option which is rated)

But what do you expect as answer?
Do you really think respondents will enter something and then rate "Don't like it".
Normally they will only enter things they like.

Therefore we always recommend to our clients to rate the precoded items and ask afterwards for "other things you like in Finland".

Joffm

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #158207 by Jmantysalo
Jmantysalo replied the topic: Adding "other" to a multiple numerical input

Joffm wrote: But what do you expect as answer?
Do you really think respondents will enter something and then rate "Don't like it".
Normally they will only enter things they like.

True, they would normally only write things they like at least a little. However, they could still compare their other-option to prefilled options; "looking reindeers" could be given as even better than the midnight sun, or then as additional "it was nice too" -thing.

In this case I am not creating a survey; I just try to implement what the research group wants.

Metaquestion: Should I open a new question about removing the header block from one question?

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now