Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Should I make a single survey or multiples?

• vadindot
  • vadindot's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #157769 by vadindot
I have a large survey coming up that is related to 13 different locations of a company.

Is there any advantage in terms of performance to having 13 different surveys vs. 1 big survey? That is, everyone gets mostly the same questions, so i can customize one big one to ask the right options.

Or is there really no difference?

On the first couple of days after i send out the invites, I tend to get a lot of people messaging me to say they're timing out, so I'm trying to figure out any possibilities for improving how the survey works...
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 6 months ago #157878 by holch
Well, the question is how you set this up. If they are all getting the same question, then I would just use one set of questions and pipe the location in via the token information (or put a question at the beginning for which location they are answering). Of course this only works, if each respondent only needs to answer the questions for one question.
The timing out can have a lot of sources. What exactly is meant with "timing out"? Is it session related ? Then increase the session time. Is it a time out because the script loads too slow? needs futher investigation on which questions, filters and equations you use.
So with your description it could be anything or nothing.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
6 years 6 months ago #157885 by jelo

vadindot wrote: On the first couple of days after i send out the invites, I tend to get a lot of people messaging me to say they're timing out, so I'm trying to figure out any possibilities for improving how the survey works...

The session timeout is not related to the length of the survey.
The timeout occurs if x seconds without browser<->server interaction have passed.
Default value in PHP is 1440seconds. For company surveys the respondents tend to answer the survey during the worktime. So 1440 seconds are too low since the respondents get interrupted by their actual work.
I would raise the session time to e.g.12 hours.

php.net/manual/en/session.configuration.php

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tpartner
More
6 years 6 months ago #157917 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Should I make a single survey or multiples?
Also, raise the Session lifetime in Configuration --> Global settings --> General -
manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings#General

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose