Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Updating or adding questions to a live survey.

• ymca
  • ymca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #152066 by ymca
Hi,

I want to make a survey that can do these things:
1. The users can pause and continue when they want.
2. The users can resubmit after a spesific time from their last survey submitting.

My question is:
Can I update or add questions to a survey that is live?

For example:

User answered these 3 question in the old survey:
1. What is your gender?
2. how old are you?
3. Do you smoke?

New question added:
4. Do you do sport?

Can the user answer just on the new question?

LS Version 4.2+
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 11 months ago #152070 by jelo

ymca wrote: Can the user answer just on the new question?

No. LimeSurvey won't allow you to add the question without deactivating the survey.
You can export responses, deactivate survey, add question, activate survey and reimport responses.
But even then the respondents won't be able to just answer the newly added question.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: ymca, pellyadolfo
  • ymca
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #152218 by ymca
Thanks for the reply.
Is it possible to add questions by building a plugin or there is no way to do that also with a plugin?

LS Version 4.2+
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago #152219 by holch
Problem with adding questions or subquestions is that you need to add also columns in the database, I think this is the main reason why you can't add questions in live surveys.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ymca
  • ymca
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 11 months ago #152320 by ymca
The users will be able to resubmit all or most of their answer every once in a while.
So I have no problem with taking the survey offline so I'll be able to add new questions (If I'll need to...) for the users to answer.

LS Version 4.2+
  • ymca
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #155488 by ymca

ymca wrote: Hi,

2. The users can resubmit after a spesific time from their last survey submitting.

I am trying to search the option in the manual on that so I can be able to let users resubmit their answers (after "x" days/months) if they want to change.

Where can I find it/what to look for?

LS Version 4.2+
  • holch
More
6 years 9 months ago #155519 by holch
There is no option that will allow them after "x" days/months. So you need to control this manually by expiring and "unexpiring" the survey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 3 months ago #177254 by lakfel
Through the web application it is not possible.
But you can do it if you are very carefully directly in the database.
1.) If you need a new group, add a row in the lime_groups table, of course with th correct sid.
2.) Create the question. You must have clear if you will have subquestions or not and the type of question.
You first create the row in the table lime_questions with the correct sid and the gid of the group you just created or the one you want to add the question to.
In the column type you mast put the code of the type, you can see here
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_Objects
If you have subquestions, you must create them in the same table adding the parent_qid with the qid of the question you just created.
Having subquestions are usually not that complicated but if you have a double column question, this is a little complicated so let me know and I help you if that is the case
3) If your question has closed answers you must add them in the table lime_answers.
4) this is the hard part. You must add a new column to the table lime_survey_<sid>
If the question does not have subquestions the column name is
<sid>X<gid>X<qid> Example 86574X123X345
But if the question does have subquestions, you must add one column for each subquestion and the column name must be
<sid>X<gid>X<parent_qid><question_title> Example 86574X123X345SQ001
If the question have double column questions it is more complicated, I 'll explain you just aske me
More
5 years 3 months ago #177276 by lfanfoni
Replied by lfanfoni on topic Updating or adding questions to a live survey.
If you know exactly the additional questions you want to give in the next rounds, you can define a survey including these questions. In the first round you can hide these questions, and in the other rounds you can show questions without stop the survey.
You can allow partecipants to update responses if the survey is not anonymized and if token-based response persistence is enabled.

Se mi vuoi contattare, non mandare messaggi privati qui, bensì scrivi a lfanfoni at gmail.com
Per le livestream in italiano vai su: www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOSjjxAG9...SiiCsSz_JxIH7xJwLdPd
Le soluzioni LimeSurvey per l'Italia si trovano su: github.com/lfanfoni

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose