Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Anonymous Survey generating token for another survey ?

• seb156
  • seb156's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 days ago #150003 by seb156
Hello everyone,

I am new to Lime Survey & created a survey in the frame of my thesis.
The survey will be public & open by Internet.
While I considered it anonymous at first, I also wonder if it is possible to have a participation to lottery combined with the survey. Obviously, this would increase the number of participants & attract them.
However at that time, the survey can't be fully anonymous, since I need to register at least a name & an email address.
However, if not anonymous, people might be refrained from documenting their personal situation.

I wonder if it is possible to generate an access code at the end of a first public survey, allowing to access a second survey only available one time with the code obtained on the 1st public survey.

Does any of you know if this is feasible ?
Any guidance on how to proceed ?

Thanks !

Sebastien
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 days ago #150031 by holch
There are several approaches to this. You will find a few discussions on the forum here as well. How I would do it:
I would create 2 surveys, as you suggested. One with only the research, the other one with the personal data. However, if you want to prevent that some clever people generate more than one entry in the survey for the participation, you need to connect the 1st survey with the second survey. You wanted to do this via a generated code, but you would need to save this code in the first survey as well, otherwise you won't be able to confirm that this person has taken the survey. To be able to do this, you need to be able to connect the first survey somehow with the second survey and at this point it means that the survey is not 100% annonymous based on purely technical terms. However, in market research for example, surveys are rarely 100% annonymous from a technical standpoint. However, companies adhering to the market research standards (e.g. ESOMAR code of conduct), will guarantee that they will not connect results with personal data, which is the important part. However, to be able to send a prize but at the same time avoid fraud you need to have a certain control.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• seb156
More
7 years 3 days ago #150132 by seb156
Hi Holch,

Thank you for your recommendation.
I took time to think about this byt my timeline does not allow to spend time in creating a complex 2 steps survey, as I am relatively new in Lime Survey.
Thus, I decided to forget about any lottery and will keep it simple, anonymous.

Thanks anyway, appreciate your feedback !

Kind regards,

Sébastien
More
7 years 3 days ago #150135 by jelo

seb156 wrote: as I am relatively new in Lime Survey.

Where you able to choose from a range of survey-packages? Or did someone else decide that you have to choose LimeSurvey?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
7 years 3 days ago #150137 by holch
I don't think it is too complicated. You can "Join" both surveys via the end url redirect option. You can pass on the savedid (unique number for the response) and save it into a hidden question of the second survey via panel integration, which would allow you to connect both surveys if necessary. To keep your promise that things are annonymous, I would just copy the savedid from the first survey and check if they are in the second survey, just to make sure that someone actually did the survey. To make things even more secure you could create a random number in an equation question in the first survey and also transmit this via the end url and save it. Only if those two match in both surveys they take part in the draw.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• seb156
More
7 years 3 days ago #150138 by seb156
I am restarting evening classes for 1 year at university, while still at work.
Dead line for my thesis is end of May.
The expert team in my university in charge of opinion surveys put at disposal Limesurvey on their server. The support is therefore ensured for this software. I was made aware about 2 other packages but decided to keep the logic to use Limesurvey, as I was told it's relatively easy to program.

I confirm it is really user-friendly & easy for simple surveys & congratulate all contributors for this open source nice tool !

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose