Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

"Master" survey capability?

• jrromanow
  • jrromanow's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 week ago #150001 by jrromanow
"Master" survey capability? was created by jrromanow
Is it possible to create a "Master" survey, which is used by multiple administrators, each of whom has a disjoint set of participants that must remain visible only to the one administrator?

Having to make a copy of a survey for each subscriber results in extra work for the admin, a very long list of available surveys, and a larger-than-necessary database.

Limesurvey has been around long enough that this question must have arisen before. Is there a solution? I can't find one in the forums or the documentation, but maybe I'm not searching the right keywords.

Thanks,
Jack
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 week ago #150002 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic "Master" survey capability?

jrromanow wrote: Is it possible to create a "Master" survey, which is used by multiple administrators, each of whom has a disjoint set of participants that must remain visible only to the one administrator?

Userrights of the level "Administrator" in one survey but not seeing each others participants sound not that common to me. If every user is admin of the same survey, they will see results of every participant.

To manage participants globally there is the CPDB:
manual.limesurvey.org/Central_participants_database
Which allows to assign participants to certain LimeSurvey users.

There is currently no function to allow assigning certain responses/results to certain users.
Are you aware of surveytool that allows that kind of permission system? I've never use one with this kind of granular permission control.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • jrromanow
  • jrromanow's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 days ago - 7 years 6 days ago #150008 by jrromanow
Replied by jrromanow on topic "Master" survey capability?
Thanks for your answer. To give you the scenario:

We have a number of standardized tests that teachers give to students to assess progress in learning a subject. We have a base test that we copy for each teacher. We make the teacher an administrator of the test so they can load participants, send out invitations, and view/export the responses. The copying part seems an extra step, and the lengthy list of surveys owned by the admin who did the copy can be a pain. We do not wish to give the teachers the ability to modify the survey, so they can't be made the owner.

Since the test ID (e.g. 751796) is used as part of the generated names for the response, token tables and as an index to the permissions, it seems that if a survey was designated as a "Master" then values such as 751796001, 751796002 could be used for these entities without needing to copy the questions & answers.

That not being the case, I guess we'll just have to soldier on...

Surprised this use case hasn't come up before.

Thanks again.
Jack
Last edit: 7 years 6 days ago by jrromanow. Reason: correct omission
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 days ago #150030 by holch
Replied by holch on topic "Master" survey capability?
I think your use case actually is quite particular and uncommon. Keep in mind that Limesurvey was designed as a survey tool and mostly with this case in mind. It can be used of course for other things, like your test scenarios, but as you can see, specific demands seem to be different to the "research world". So what for you might seem to be a very normal, common requirement, for me and many others that come from the research part look odd and not a very relevant use case.
Good thing: Limesurvey is open source and you can always see if it makes sense to implement this yourself (or find someone to implement it for you). Of course you would need to check first, if this is something that could be implemented in the LS core or if it is rather something that needs to be in a plugin. Of course it would make sense to discuss things like that with the developer team first, because they might not want to implement it into core, as it might not fit well with the general purpose, etc. I am no developer to evaluate the impact of such a change on the core of LS.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose