Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

I would like some help with limesurvey on synology

• terryleem
  • terryleem's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149293 by terryleem
I have installed limesurvey on my synology server
I have made a survey and it works perfectly when im on internal LAN
but i cannot connect to the survey with external internet
what should I do to make connection to my survey outside my internal LAN?
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149297 by jelo

terryleem wrote: but i cannot connect to the survey with external internet
what should I do to make connection to my survey outside my internal LAN?

That's out of scope for this forum. Opening webservices from your Synology NAS to the internet is a topic for a Synology or Router community. There are lot of things to check and decide. But none is related to LimeSurvey. For every app on your Synology Appstore the same amount of network configuration and routing work had to be done.

Sidenote: The LimeSurvey App itself is not provided by LimeSurvey GmbH. A third party is maintaining the app package.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149298 by holch
You SHOULD NEVER allow others to access your NAS outside of your LAN, that is a security issue.

In theory it is probably possible, but only if you have a fixed IP (or some kind of DYNDNS service) and your firewall allows people from outside of your LAN to acess your LAN (which I would not recommend if you don't know what you are doing and your question suggests that you have little to no experience in network administration).

Best solution: get a decent webhosting package and run Limesurvey there.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #149337 by DenisChenu
[offtopic]

holch wrote: You SHOULD NEVER allow others to access your NAS outside of your LAN, that is a security issue.

I'm politically against this sentence.

Web is what WE do : me must self-host, it's the price of real liberty on web , i use yunohost.org on a little computer at my house, it's MY cloud : fsfe.org/contribute/spreadtheword#nocloud

;)

PS : and today : it's more unsecure to have some toy's than to host our selfcloud.
[/offtopic]

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by DenisChenu.
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149363 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote: I'm politically against this sentence.
Web is what WE do : me must self-host, it's the price of real liberty on web

Please create an Offtopic discussion section. Oh, I forgot. This is private property here.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149373 by jacob
You can add a DDNS in the control-panel (external connection -> Synology -> mynameis123.synology.me)
I think you also have to install the Web Station to point to your limesurvey folder. like /web/limesurvey/
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149380 by jelo
The following user(s) said Thank You: dpacjl76
  • holch
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149508 by holch

DenisChenu wrote: [offtopic]I'm politically against this sentence.[/offtopic]

If you know what you are doing, you are more than welcome to host at home. If you have no idea about network and server administration you'd better don't open up your computer/server/nas at home. You can still do it, at the end of the day it is yours, but don't forget the risks involved. My opinion.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183310 by VacuBlaster
Replied by VacuBlaster on topic I would like some help with limesurvey on synology
Hey Jelo,

Please create an Offtopic discussion section. Oh, I forgot. This is private property here.

WTF? are you being rude????? what are you referring to when stating "this is private property here"?

As it happens, I want to point my NAS to the outside and that is why I am here checking the forums. I don't need people to tell me I shouldn't do it I know it is a risk however, it is my NAS not yours. Perhaps if you tried being a little more civil with people you won't get responses like this. Have a look at Holch's reply, that is how to respond.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by VacuBlaster.
More
4 years 11 months ago #183313 by jelo

VacuBlaster wrote: I don't need people to tell me I shouldn't do it I know it is a risk however, it is my NAS not yours. Perhaps if you tried being a little more civil with people you won't get responses like this. Have a look at Holch's reply, that is how to respond.

Take your time and read the thread again. Feel free to quote me, if you find a statement in this thread where I tell anyone what to do or not to do with a NAS.

BTW: The owner of this forum is not supporting LimeSurvey packages on NAS.

• holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #183316 by holch

WTF? are you being rude????? what are you referring to when stating "this is private property here"?

@VacuBlaster: The only one I see rude here in this thread is you, sorry that I have to say that. You are jumping to conclusions without understanding jelos comment made to Denis. Actually, his comment has little to do with the topic, but rather on how the forum works, and it is actually more like a joke. So let's all calm down.

As it happens, I want to point my NAS to the outside and that is why I am here checking the forums. I don't need people to tell me I shouldn't do it I know it is a risk however, it is my NAS not yours.

As I said, I don't think it is a good idea, especially if you have to look up how to do it on a forum. Nothing wrong with that, but chances are that you don't have the experience of a seasoned server administrador. This means while you might manage to open your NAS to be accessed from the outside and you also might be able to run your survey sucessfully from your NAS or server at home, you might not be aware of the risks and dangerous it can involve.

However, you are always free to do so and you are also free to ask. But you might have to live with comments like mine, that I don't recommend it. I know a bit about Limesurvey, and I know little about how to set up a web server. However, I know enough to know that I don't know enough to make a webserver 100% secure. Thus I wouldn't want to give access to my NAS and potentially other data on my NAS to the outside world.

As Denis says, it is totally possible to do so and also to do it secure - if you know what you are doing. I am sure that me and 99% of the population out there are not able to run a secure webserver on their own out of their home. If you are suficient in this, great, go for it.

However, I would assume that someone who knows enough about server administration and how to setup a secure webserver won't need to ask here, or at least it is not very probable. So thus my warning. I feel obliged to give this warning, because if someone gives advice here on how to make LS accessible from outside on your NAS and someone hacks the NAS/Server, you can be sure that this person will come back here and blame the forum for their own negligence.

Here also a couple of other tips:
If you are really determined to run Limesurvey on your NAS, you are of course welcome to do so. However, I think you will get most probably better information on a forum specifically for your NAS. Because how to give access to your NAS is rather a NAS specific question and has very little to do with Limesurvey, it should work the same for any web application.

Of course, there might be a small chance that someone here might also run LS on a Synology and can help, but I don't think that many of us use LS on a Synology NAS. I personally always prefer a clean vanilla install of any software rather than some kind of proprietary app or installer, because you can never be sure what the third party did with Limesurvey (often there is no way to update/upgrade those installations until the maintainer of this package updates the proprietary package).

This Synology app is third party and we have no idea and can not test on it, so
if any problem appears, it might be difficult here in the forum to give any solutions, because we don't know what is really LS related and what is related to the third party app and what modifications they did to Limesurvey.

So to make it short: I think only synology experts will be able to help you with making your LS Installation on your NAS available over the web.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose