Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

remove duplicate entries

• itsme
  • itsme's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149081 by itsme
remove duplicate entries was created by itsme
Hello, I'm looking at big number of data collected using limesurvey as annonymous and some entries were added using the same email address (email address is a field within the questions)

how i can filter those and remove them from the responses?
The topic has been locked.
  • itsme
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149090 by itsme
Replied by itsme on topic remove duplicate entries
hey, anybody?
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149095 by holch
Replied by holch on topic remove duplicate entries
This is a forum almost purely run by volunteers. We do this in our spare time. There is no right on a quick answer and actually there is no right for an answer at all.

In your survey go to "responses" --> "responses & statistics" --> "Display responses". You will see a list of all responses (complete and not complete). On top of each column (response) you have a text box which you can use to filter the responses. There is also an option to filter for complete or non complete responses.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• itsme
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #149105 by itsme
Thanks dear, I know there is no right for answer, i just thought this is easy for pioneers and somemone will tell me easy action to do.

well, I checked the responses and there is icon to edit the responses one by one, nothing more could found, even if sorted the way you explained, how i know this is duplicated? I thought could be something on database level or other solution or workaround you may have...

really need to mark andremove the duplicate responses based on the email address, if is the same

any help or idea is appreciated
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by itsme.
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149109 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic remove duplicate entries

itsme wrote: I thought could be something on database level or other solution or workaround you may have...

This kind of duplication check is unusual for survey tools. More common in mailing tools (token list in Limesurvey has some kind of duplication check). I'm not aware of any out of the box solution for responses. The manual solution is to sort responses and check via eyes. Best approach is exporting data and use a third party tool (e.g. spreadsheet) to apply search/check routines.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149113 by holch
How do you know in the first place it is dublicated? If you sort by the email column, you can spot where the same email has been used twice and you can decide which one to delete and which not. At the end of the day, it will need to be you to decide which is the dublicate and which is the one you want to keep. There is no way the tool can make this decision for you.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149133 by jelo

holch wrote: At the end of the day, it will need to be you to decide which is the dublicate and which is the one you want to keep. There is no way the tool can make this decision for you.

That's correct, but I'm not quite sure what the exact task, the thread-starter wants to conduct, is all about.

how i can filter those and remove them from the responses?

Perhaps it's only about removing the email addresses from the responses and not the responses itself.
The thread topic seems crystal clear about removing double entries. But the context with anonymous entries vs entries with email addresses sound a bit different to me.

• itsme
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149157 by itsme
hi, request was clear, remove the responses which have the same email address! ok here is what I did, exported the data as Excel, identifed thsoe using countif function in Excel, colored them, sort, then used control F in the responses screen to select the duplicates and remove them from the survey...

by the way, i can't sort in the responses screen, don't know why but i can't see any function to sort right in limeSurvey
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149163 by jelo

itsme wrote: hi, request was clear, remove the responses which have the same email address!

Remove the responses which have the same email address = remove all responses with the same emailaddress

itsme wrote: sort, then used control F in the responses screen to select the duplicates and remove them from the survey...

Select the duplicates and remove them from the survey = remove all responses except one with the same emailaddress.

Looks quite different to me. But as your problem is solved I can live with that ambiguity quite well.

• itsme
More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #149166 by itsme
come on jelo, I know what you mean,, but no need to English professor to write a topic, it is obvious I wanted to remove only duplicate ones which have similar email address mentioned more than once, and keep only one response of each email.

so let me me state my other question this way:

I couldn't find how to sort the responses in responses screen, while above I understood from holch it should be there.. any clue? i have no headers in the table columns that shows the responses...

Moreover, how i can search the responses instead of listing all in one screen and using control F of the browser?
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by itsme.
  • holch
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149168 by holch
What is your LS version?

This is how it should look like in the latest branch (LS 2.6x):

When you click on the heading you can sort it increasing/decreasing and in the text box you can filter.

This is how it should look like in the 2.6LTS banch:

If you can't find it, you either have a really, really, really old version of LS installed or you are looking in the wrong place, somehow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • itsme
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #149169 by itsme
Hey!! seems I have really really old version then, can't find all those! will try to update it.

Thanks a lot dude.

Cheers

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose