Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Add a second progress bar trough the survey template (frontend)

• jgpestana
  • jgpestana's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #148501 by jgpestana
Dear team,

I have created a very large survey with several groups of questions (non-mandatory answers) and I would like to show to the participants a progress bar with real time information about how many questions has been answered from the total. The progress bar provided by Limesurvey only shows position on the survey and not real progress. I know there is a feature request for this function, but I would like to try a workaround. My idea is to implement a second progress bar trough the frontend, I mean only modifying the survey template. My function in javascript requires Total Number of Questions in the Survey and Total Number of Questions Answered. How can I called these variables from the template (e.g.: startpage.html).

Thanks in advance for your help.
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148505 by Joffm
Hi, jgpestana,

first: I cannot help you.
But I am interested how you are going to manage the following scenario:
1. There are 10 groups in the survey, each with 10 questions (=100 questions in total)
2. In the third group the 5th is a question that makes the respondent skip the 4th to 9th group.

IMHO nobody can know the answer of the respondent to this filter question. So the progress it at about 25%.
Then the respondent jumps to the 10th group.
What are you going to display as progress now?

How does the system know that in this case instead of 100 questions there are only 35 questions to answer?

This is something we are struggling with (in other survey systems, too), especially in dynamic loops and these things.

Best regards
Joffm

And, please, do not ask the same question in several sections.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Joffm. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V
More
7 years 1 month ago #148509 by Ben_V
Hi,

1) you can use the keyword {PERCENTCOMPLETE} to display a second progressbar. To know where this placeholder is allowed, please check the following table:
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...each_Keyword_Used.3F

2) I agree with Joffm... skipped questions are pretty hard to handle ( even if you can access this info via {qcode.relevanceStatus} )

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
7 years 1 month ago #148516 by jelo

Ben_V wrote: 2) I agree with Joffm... skipped questions are pretty hard to handle ( even if you can access this info via {qcode.relevanceStatus} )

Most LimeSurvey users seems to not run into the topic progressbar at all.
I ran into issues showing a correct progressbar while using LimeSurvey when bridging surveys.
For the LTS 2.6.X I used to set the progressbar by hand per group.

This thread here is more than four years old.
www.limesurvey.org/forum/future-features...rogress-bar-settings
The feature request is here:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9677

Everybody is correct that many things can prevent a 100% accurate progressbar but a few things can be improved.
Offer start and Stop values.

Offer a calculation routine based on
a) Questions shown
b) Question position in the survey

And offer the variables to program your own progressbar routines. Currently not available.

I might elaborate on that in the future feature thread (link posted above). LimeSurvey is adding a lot complexity on the developers end since three display modes (all in one, group, question per question) is offered. Personally I would only stick with group, to reduce adapting each features to all three kinds of display modes.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • jgpestana
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148627 by jgpestana

Ben_V wrote: Hi,

1) you can use the keyword {PERCENTCOMPLETE} to display a second progressbar. To know where this placeholder is allowed, please check the following table:
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...each_Keyword_Used.3F

2) I agree with Joffm... skipped questions are pretty hard to handle ( even if you can access this info via {qcode.relevanceStatus} )

Hi,

I think this keyword is not implemented yet. I couldn't call it from the template. It makes sense because the name of the file is "Roadmap".

Thanks
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by jgpestana.
  • jgpestana
More
7 years 1 month ago #148628 by jgpestana
Thank you everybody for your help. Apparently this issue cannot be solved easily from the frontend. What a pity!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose