Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Track opened invitations in html emails

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148090 by icm76
Hi,

i'm interested if there is a possibility to track if opened (individual) invitations sent by email - using either google analytics or a hidden image/1x1 px. If it is possible, please point in the necessary direction.

Thank you,
Catalin
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by icm76.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #148097 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Track opened invitations in html emails
In my opinion, trying to track what a person does with an email without them taking a direct action is malicious behaviour. That's why decent email clients won't automatically open images, attachments, etc.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #148102 by icm76
Replied by icm76 on topic Track opened invitations in html emails
mailchimp does it and also phplist - and all the newsletters that we received in our emails are tracked by "opens" and by "clicks"

here is a solution: www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/17/emai...ng-google-analytics/
based on
developers.google.com/analytics/devguide...on/protocol/v1/email

(Gmail displays images by default (and that means a user can be tracked using the above technique) but Yahoo does not)
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #148113 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Track opened invitations in html emails
I already use phpList , and they use all same system : add an hidden image, like Tony already write : it's not really a good solution.

Then it don't work for user who read email with a real browser. Are you sure it work for gmail ? Maybe only for google analytics ?

PS : i always have www.eff.org/privacybadger activated on all my browser : the with GA : i'm not tracked even if i allow image to be shown.
PS2 : easy way to do in plugin with beforeTokenEmail event.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148118 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Track opened invitations in html emails

tpartner wrote: In my opinion, trying to track what a person does with an email without them taking a direct action is malicious behaviour.

Oldskool ;-) Emails in my mailbox are all converted into plain text before reading them. I don't like the idea of having HTML in my emails.

To circumvent mailclients privacy protection more and more emails contain important content (e.g. the text) as a graphic.

If it is still the case that LS GmbH wants to compete with Surveymonkey, they will implement a invitation tracking like this too: help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/...Invitations#Tracking
We all need nice reports. Mantra: Only reports show us that something is going on.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #148124 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Track opened invitations in html emails
My Gmail does not show images by default...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #148134 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Track opened invitations in html emails

holch wrote: My Gmail does not show images by default...

Yepp, that became standard when tracking and malware distribution via HTML mails got an everyday thing.
To ensure everybody allows tracking I receive more and more newsletter putting the whole text into an image.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose