Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Display 10 random questions at a time from 164 items

• teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #147440 by teracomp
I'm creating a rather long survey that will have 164 items (questions) from one large group. I'd like to show 10 to 15 questions at a time, randomly picked from the large group.

Is there a setting they indicates the number of questions at a time?

Dave Phillips
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #147452 by holch
No, this doesn't work that easy out of the box in Limesurvey. You can easily randomize all questions within their randomization group, but not a subset.

However, recently someone posted a clever trick to achieve what I think you want to do. However, you need to create 2 groups. One question group with the number of questions you want to show (e.g. n=10) and the other question group with the rest of the questions (n=164-10=154). All of those questions need to be in the same "randomization group".

Then you hide the second question group and Limesurvey will randomize the position of all those 164 questions among those two question groups. And whatever questions falls randomly into the first question group will be shown, the other will be hidden because the questions group they randomly fell in will not be shown. Hope that helps.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: teracomp
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #147454 by teracomp
Thanks for the quick response. That sounds like an interesting approach. I'll have to track down the details to see if it works for our purposes.
dp

Dave Phillips
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147455 by holch
Yes, start small first to test how it works. Don't go for the full 164 questions at once... ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• tpartner
More
7 years 1 month ago #147467 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #147473 by teracomp
Thanks for the reference. As I read that solution, x items are selected from the pool of y items. In my case, I need 10 items at a time from the pool of y items, not just 10 items.

Am I reading this right?

My working solution is to randomize the list of items offline then build the survey with 17 groups, 10x16 + 4 in group 17. Each group has a randomization. This is not ideal, but it will suffice for this instrument.

My preference is to have the ability to show a max of 10 questions at a time, submit the 10, then have the user respond to 10 more until all questions have been answered.

Perhaps this is a rare implementation...just something I have to deal with for a relatively small audience.

Greatly appreciate your input.
dp

Dave Phillips
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #147492 by holch
OK, so I read your explanation different. If I understand you correctly now, your implementation is actually quite simple.

So you don't want to draw only 10 questions out of a pool of 164, but rather have 10 groups of questions where all questions are randomized within the groups and through the groups?

Because this can be easily done:
1. create 17 groups
2. distribute the questions over the groups
3. give each question the same code in "randomization group"

What happens with this approach: you will have 10 groups and within those groups each question can appear randomly in any of the groups. So you have basically 164 positions of questions distribuited over 10 question groups. All questions with the same code in the "randomization group" field can then appear randomly in any of these positions with the same "randomization group" code. E.g. Question 1 could appear as first question in group 1, but also as 5th question in group 14, or 10th position in group 10 and so on.

Is this what you are looking for?

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teracomp
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #147521 by teracomp
That's fantastic! Excellent!

I have already created the groups and in the process of building the survey. All I have to do is point to a single Randomization Group throughout. Perfect solution.

Thanks!

Dave Phillips

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose