Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Ask for names based on [value] and use names in next questions?

• JesperDK
  • JesperDK's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #145404 by JesperDK
Hi guys,
I don't know if this is possible, but here goes:

I am going to do a survey asking parents about their buying preferences on kid products. To make it easier for them to fill in, I would like ask them to fill in the names or initials of each of their kids and then use their answers in the following question - So that it would be "when did you last purchase a new bike for John" instead of "when did you last purchase a new bike for your second kid"

I see two problems in it - first that I need to repeat the "names" question as many times as they have kids and second, that I need to set up the survey to repeat the following questions based on the number of kids as well. So I was hoping to do a multiple choice list, and have the list repeated for every name they entered.

Is this possible?

Thank you :)

Jesper
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #145408 by tammo
Hi Jesper,

yes it is possible, but not in the way you describe. LimeSurvey always uses a determined number of database columns and within the current architecture looping (groups of) questions, according to a previous answers (like I have 4 children) is not possible.

What is possible is the following:
  • determine the maximum of children you want to ask questions about. Nowadays there are in my country not too many families with 12 children, but this may be different in you population
  • make a question group for up to x children (you determine x)
  • make question groups only visible when they are needed, based on the number of children that are reported for this family
  • Using EM (expression manager) show the questions for the name of the child

It may take you some research in the LS documentation, but that will help you understanding LS!
Good luck!

Tammo ter Hark

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by tammo.
The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose