Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Empty responses - Each visit

More
7 years 4 months ago #143434 by Linoa
Empty responses - Each visit was created by Linoa
Hi everyone,

We (non-profit association) are running Limesurvey Version 2.53+161004. The problem we have is that each time there is a visit on our form, a response is saved: that is obviously fine for "real" responses, but isn't great for empty responses. We have approx. half of empty responses out of the total responses.

We used to run a very old version of Limesurvey (that we were still using not so long ago!), and we didn't have this problem. If someone just visited the page without filling in the form, then the response wasn't saved.

Do you know if there is any possibility to stop Limesurvey from saving these empty responses?

Thanks very much for your help,
Linoa
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 4 months ago #143437 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Empty responses - Each visit
So you mean that if the person opens the survey it is already stored in the database? That doesn't sound about right. The normal behaviour is that a response is created when at least some button was clicked (either submit or next). Then the given details are saved in the database, even if the person doesn't reach the end of the survey.

I can't believe that a response is saved if a respondent only opens the first page of the survey. Either you have something on this first page that saves / submits automatically, or there was a problem with 2.53+ 161004.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 4 months ago #143443 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Empty responses - Each visit

holch wrote: The normal behaviour is that a response is created when at least some button was clicked (either submit or next)

Since LS 1.92 a response is created in all cases right when the survey is opened and "last page" column receive a "0" value. It was not the case with 1.90 version.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149536 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Empty responses - Each visit
People annoyed with those empty but recorded as incomplete responses (just savedid+startdate) may display a "welcome" screen to limit this behaviour.

End of the good news when the user click on "next" button...

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149540 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Empty responses - Each visit

Ben_V wrote: People annoyed with those empty but recorded as incomplete responses (just savedid+startdate) may display a "welcome" screen to limit this behaviour.

Oh, is that the case? Wasn't aware of that. I normally don't use the welcome screen, since I use the first group to generate random numbers etc. there and want a text to display to be sure the group is touched by LS. Wonder if the session will created after the welcomepage too.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
  • Away
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #149614 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Empty responses - Each visit
Welcome page : create session (but without any value, even startvalue if set on a specific session part), don't save anything in DB
Show one question : fill session 'answer part' + create the response line in DB.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose