Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Incentive

• prakti
  • prakti's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #141956 by prakti
Incentive was created by prakti
Hello everyone

I'm preparing a survey and I would like to give the participants an incentive:
they can fill in their e-mail adresses and I will give away three vouchers for whatever...

Is there a possibility to do this? If yes how? The only way i found is to make a question with a blank field where they can fill in their adresses, but then i could/can see what they answered, since their mailadress will be connected as part of the questionnaire.

Thank you for your help
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 5 months ago #141961 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Incentive

prakti wrote: The only way i found is to make a question with a blank field where they can fill in their adresses

That is correct. There is no special email capture question type.

To prevent having the emailaddresses and the surveydata in one databasetable, you can use a separate second survey.
You can redirect probands into the second survey via the End-URL field in the survey settings. Put the URL of the second survey into that field and the probands will be redirected into the second survey.
The problem with a separate survey for capturing data for incentives is that people might try to get to that second survey directly (e.g. sharing that link with others).

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: prakti
  • prakti
  • prakti's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #141964 by prakti
Replied by prakti on topic Incentive
Thank you very much! That helped!!!
More
7 years 5 months ago #142178 by f1refly
Replied by f1refly on topic Incentive
I am doing this by having the survey publicly available but requiring participants to register. I have their email and whether they completed this survey. I'm also doing this anonymously and their email is saved in a separate file.
More
7 years 5 months ago #142179 by jelo

f1refly wrote: I am doing this by having the survey publicly available but requiring participants to register

Did you use the emails for sending incentives to the people? You ask for the email-address before showing the survey.
In some countries the sweepstakes have to follow certain rules. You have to make the participation optional. When asking for an email-address upfront, it can drive people away from the survey.

Still a good idea from f1refly" to bring it up.
The option can be found in the Tokens section under "Allow public registration:"
manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_settings#Tokens

More
7 years 5 months ago #142181 by f1refly
Replied by f1refly on topic Incentive
Thanks. I haven't thought of people not wanting to participate. I'm in the process of creating this survey right now. I will use the emails for the drawing (Amazon gift cards). And that is a good point about other countries; although I mostly expect people from the US to respond. (This is for my doctoral dissertation on privacy attitudes in social media. :-) )

I'll have to rethink and see if I can accomplish what I want in a different way.
More
7 years 5 months ago #142196 by jelo

f1refly wrote: This is for my doctoral dissertation on privacy attitudes in social media.

If your population/universe is only about social media users it might work. If you want to compare social media users with non users it will be hard to defend results. Non users will be more suspicious about registering upfront .
Another issue that all respondents have to receive an email upfront. That will reduce the crowd since there are issues around spam etc.
If the surveylink is distributed via social media you'll have many users with emailaddresses from freemailern (Yahoo, Outlook, Gmail etc.).
The chances that your register mail from LimeSurvey is landing in the SPAM folder is very high. At least as long you are not using a special mailservice which is specialized on mailings.

If you only need the email addresses for incentives I wouldn't use the registration feature upfront.
I would make pretty clear on the first page that the incentive is OPTIONAL and nobody needs to provide your email or anything else.
When distributing this survey via social media you'll might have issues with multiple fill-outs by users.
IMHO the only way to prevent that, is to recruit by invitation only. You might minimize multiple fill-outs by users if you ask them for a social media account name. This will only minimize multiple fill-outs aiming for the incentive. Multiple fill-outs to sabotage results cannot be demotivated by that.

Good luck.

The following user(s) said Thank You: f1refly
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
7 years 5 months ago #142226 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Incentive

jelo wrote: That is correct. There is no special email capture question type.

If you want to validate email addresses, have a look at www.limesurvey-consulting.com/how-to-val...esses-at-limesurvey/

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
7 years 5 months ago #142231 by jelo

Mazi wrote:

jelo wrote: That is correct. There is no special email capture question type.

If you want to validate email addresses, have a look at www.limesurvey-consulting.com/how-to-val...esses-at-limesurvey/

With "special email capture question type" I wasn't thinking about validation of emailadresses.
There are survey tools which offer a questions type, where personal data is saved in a separate databasetable, not connected to the responses. E.g. www.soscisurvey.de/help/doku.php/en:create:questions:contact

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose