Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Browser-based question branching

• BBCMResearch
  • BBCMResearch's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago #141581 by BBCMResearch
Browser-based question branching was created by BBCMResearch
Hello,

I posted a while back ( here ) about a problem I had getting multiple choice answers to properly work in some older versions of IE.

I still need to report the bug, however I need to grab some details about my server from IT before I can.

In the meantime, would it be possible to add a script to the welcome screen or first question of a survey that detects browsers, and then branches all IE users to one set of simplified questions, and all other users to the fully-functioning versions?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 6 months ago #141604 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Browser-based question branching
What version of IE and what question type are you having problems with?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • BBCMResearch
More
7 years 6 months ago #141612 by BBCMResearch
Replied by BBCMResearch on topic Browser-based question branching
Tony,

My clients generally use IE 11.0.31 or older, often on Windows XP, and I've heard tell of systems still using Windows 2000. We've tracked the problem to: Settings--> Internet Options --> Security --> Custom Level --> "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control" is disabled.

Checkboxes in multiple choice questions will not work if that setting is not enabled nor would you get any warning about Javascript not being enabled because Javascript can be enabled while this feature is blocked.

Like I said, I need to file a bug report. But in the meantime, I've been reformatting multiple choice questions into yes/no arrays. It's not ideal, but it essentially captures the same data. I'd prefer to still use multiple choice questions if possible though, and just filter users in IE to those yes/no arrays when needed.
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #141615 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Browser-based question branching

BBCMResearch wrote: We've tracked the problem to: Settings--> Internet Options --> Security --> Custom Level --> "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control" is disabled.

Which version/build of LS is used? The option you're mentioning is disabled in a default setup of IE.
I remember your post and wasn't able to reproduce it.
www.limesurvey.org/de/foren/installation...tiple-choice-answers
To me it looks like the IE browsers are in gov/biz it environment, where some security hardening took place.

A few links to browser detection stuff can be found here:
www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...the-customers#137449

You might create a equation question which checks for IE and if it found a IE it returns "1" as a result. You than could use group relevance to display IE questions when the equation question is "1".

The link above contains some java-script detection code with can be incorporated into a text-question or equation question.
Direct link:
www.limesurvey.org/community-services/fo...th-limesurvey#113039

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by jelo.
  • tpartner
More
7 years 6 months ago #141617 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Browser-based question branching
Hmm...can't reproduce the problem, even with that security setting.

Having said that, how about simply hiding the pseudo checkbox elements and showing the native checkboxes. Something like this at the end of template.css:

Code:
.multiple-opt input[type="checkbox"] {
    position: relative;
    opacity: 1;
}

.multiple-opt .checkbox label::before,
.multiple-opt .checkbox label::after {
    display: none;
}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • BBCMResearch
More
7 years 6 months ago #141618 by BBCMResearch
Replied by BBCMResearch on topic Browser-based question branching
jelo, thanks for the links.

If I remember correctly you tested with IE 11.3.31 under Windows 7, which is a slightly different version than the one I mentioned. I don't know that it does or does not matter; I'm just relaying what one of my IT guys found. When he enabled that that setting, the problem went away.

At the time of the initial post, we were using LS Version 2.50+ 160504, and the problem has persisted through Version 2.50+160908

Whether or not that setting is the cause, not being able to visibly check a box in a multiple choice question is a major problem for me, and once IT responds to me with our server details, I will file a bug report.

Tony, I'll try your suggestion and get someone with a problematic browser to test it out. If you have a spare moment, could you explain what this code does? I don't actually understand the bit about pseudo and native checkboxes.

Thank you both for your continued help and timely responses to all of my inquiries.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 6 months ago #141641 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Browser-based question branching

jelo wrote:

BBCMResearch wrote: We've tracked the problem to: Settings--> Internet Options --> Security --> Custom Level --> "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control" is disabled.

Which version/build of LS is used? The option you're mentioning is disabled in a default setup of IE.

A lot of IE installation have this .

PLEASE : make a feature request (if you think it's important) to allow no-js functionnality.

I'm totally for a no-js finctionnality, but LS core team don't want it .... We can not do whomle, but i think we must iomprove what can be done.
See : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7967#c40715

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 6 months ago #141642 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote: A lot of IE installation have this .
PLEASE : make a feature request (if you think it's important) to allow no-js functionnality.

The "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control" option is not about Javascript-Support in IE.
This option can be activated to use/embed IE (web browser control) in other windows applications.

Which isn't taking anything away from the idea to support non-javascript environments in LimeSurvey.
I don't got the impression that LS GmbH is going that way. They are not aiming at the userbase in tight controlled IT-environments.

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #141644 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Browser-based question branching

jelo wrote: I don't got the impression that LS GmbH is going that way. They are not aiming at the userbase in tight controlled IT-environments.

I think any user of LimeService (LimeSurvey GmbH client) can have their userbase in tight controlled IT-environments, no ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by DenisChenu.
More
7 years 6 months ago #141646 by jelo

DenisChenu wrote: I think any user of LimeService (LimeSurvey GmbH client) can have their user-base in tight controlled IT-environments, no ?

Well, that might be the case. But since LimeService isn't acting as a contractor (which needs to please a few customers) they can offer LimeSurvey on a take it or leave it base. They aim for the masses.
Since I don't want to hijack this thread, I have opened a thread to get some opinions about the noscript-support.
www.limesurvey.org/forum/future-features...s-with-no-javascript

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose