Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Screen out participants based on score from multiple questions

• mhurry
  • mhurry's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #136489 by mhurry
I'm trying to build a survey that has a substantial number of questions in the screening section and I'm really struggling with excluding ineligible participants. I know that you can set a zero quota to terminate the survey based on a response to a single question, however a crucial part of my screener involves a series of questions which results in a total score (out of 32). I want to exclude participants who get a score of 17 and above, therefore have set an equation question that gives a total score, but it is not possible to set a quota for this question type. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Many thanks in advance!
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 9 months ago #136494 by DenisChenu
You can use Equation question to set a value to an hidden question.
Or directly use "Deafult value" Expressin Manager for a Y/N question : and use this question for quota.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • mhurry
More
7 years 9 months ago #136691 by mhurry
Thank you Denis, I think I know what you mean, just not sure exactly how to get there...

So I have 8 questions with 5 different answer choices, each corresponds to a score of 0-4. So max score would be 32. I want to exclude people who have a score over 16, and include people with a score less than or equal to 16.
So far I have an equation that calculates the total score (SCORE), then a hidden question (hidden) with 2 choices (1, screen out; 2, screen in). Then I have an equation question with the following equation in the text field: {hidden=if(SCORE = < 16, "1",if(SCORE > 16, "2"))}.
Would that then automatically set the answers for the hidden question, which I can then set a quota for?

Not sure if I'm on the right track or completely missed the point... any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 9 months ago #136694 by DenisChenu

mh16 wrote: ....
Would that then automatically set the answers for the hidden question, which I can then set a quota for?

Yes : you have it :)

Try with activate survey and set quota to 0.

And be sure to have a version with this solution working ;) : 2.06lts and last 2.50 is OK. SOme 2.05, stop in a 2.06 , restart in another 2.06

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • mhurry
More
7 years 9 months ago #136699 by mhurry
Uh oh, I'm using the version provided on my University server and it's v 2.00+... the quotas don't appear to be working even when the survey is activated! :( thought i was so close to a solution!
More
7 years 9 months ago #136981 by ledoux
Hi !
I'm trying to fix a quota ("add a question") based on a question "equation" (almost the same case than mh16: I created a hidden equation question which take 3 values according to the answer to a drop down menu of about 13 answers).

But equation questions don"t appear in the list of variables eligible to fix a quota...

Does anybody has a solution? Is there any other type of question which may do the job of an equation, AND which would be eligible to quota?

thank you !!

New user of LS but with the will to contribute to this great community !
  • tpartner
More
7 years 9 months ago #137010 by tpartner
I think Denis has already answered your question.

Use Expression manager to either:
  1. Set the answer to a hidden list-radio question
  2. Set the default value of a hidden yes/no question

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, ledoux
More
7 years 9 months ago #137015 by ledoux
Tpartner
Sorry. I've been told that I can post the same post on the english forum and the french one (when it is urgent). That's why I posted on both... But if it is an issue for the forum, I stop doing it, of course.

Denis indeed provided an answer. great ! I'm now trying to understand it. May I transform the list of initial answers (13 modalities) to a hidden list-radio question with only 3 values? (my goal is to obtain a variable with only 3 values eligible to quotas)

thank you !

New user of LS but with the will to contribute to this great community !
  • tpartner
More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #137018 by tpartner

I've been told that I can post the same post on the english forum and the french one

You posted the same question in two English threads.

May I transform the list of initial answers (13 modalities) to a hidden list-radio question with only 3 values?

You can use an expression like this in an equation question.
- IF q1 > 6: qHidden will be set to 1
- ELSE IF q1 > 6: qHidden will be set to 2
- ELSE: qHidden will be set to 3

Code:
{qHidden = if(q1 > 6, 1, if(q1 > 11, 2, 3))}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ledoux

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose