Can I bulk-add all users to a group?

More
3 years 4 months ago #134558 by frisket
In the thread "Send email to LimeSurvey Users" the recommendation was to create a group and add all users to it, then email the group. ("Users" here means "people who create surveys", not respondents)

Creating the group is easy, but I see no way to add all my users to it: the "add user" facility in a group only lets you add them one by one, and I have dozens of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LimeSurvey Partners
More
3 years 4 months ago #134572 by holch
I think your only chance is to do it one by one. Usually you add people to a group when creating the user and in general the number of users of the LS backend is not soo elevated. Which is probably why there is no feature for bulk adding.

Maybe you can do something with the LS API, but with "only" dozens, you are maybe quicker adding them one by one than to find out if it is possible and add the respective API call. But I am no expert on this and I don't know if the API allows this.

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds

More
3 years 4 months ago #134574 by coeneisma
Also not a API expert, but I got recently triggered by another subject about the Python API so I'm starting with it now and there is a Insert User method: api.limesurvey.org/classes/User.html#method_insertUser .

So, if you've got the coding skills and if you also have to add multiple users in the future, the API is probably the easiest way to go. Otherwise, like holch mentioned, manually adding the users.

More
3 years 4 months ago #134582 by frisket
Thanks for the responses. I found two ways which are much easier:
  1. (slow) Copy the whole User Control page and paste it into a file in /tmp, then
    cat foo | tr '\040\011' '\012\012' | grep @
  2. (fast) Pull it from the database with
    echo 'select email from lime_users' | mysql -X -u USR -pPSW dbname | lxprintf -e field "%s\n" . -
In both cases, snag the output and pipe it into your email recipients.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!