Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Upgrade LimeSurvey to PHP 8.2

• jambouz
  • jambouz's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #255422 by jambouz
Upgrade LimeSurvey to PHP 8.2 was created by jambouz
Hello, Our organization currently uses LimeSurvey 5.5.2 and PHP 8.1, that is already in production. Several reports were created, some of the reports use embedded code and are very complex. The reports in production are very critical to the organization and do not support any failures or downtime.
 Our Limesurvey source code version is 5.5.2, it resides on Azure DevOps repository, and we have several apps hosted on Azure App Services connected to it, among them testing and production. We have customized the apps by changing a lot of configurations and styling that are proper to the organization.
 Recently we received a retirement notice of PHP 8.1 on November 2024 and then we are required to upgrade to PHP 8.2 to avoid potential security vulnerabilities and to minimize risk for our App Service apps.
 Therefore, before moving forward with the upgrade, we would like to know if upgrading to the latest version of LimeSurvey and PHP 8.2 doesn’t harm our current surveys and if we can easily keep all our current customizations.
 Thanks for your answer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #255537 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Upgrade LimeSurvey to PHP 8.2
Clearly : i think it must be tested a lot to have a PHP82 with a LimeSurvey5.5.2

1. Why you didn't update your 5.X version to the last version ?
2. Why you didn't update to 6.X version ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

• jambouz
  • jambouz's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #255555 by jambouz
Replied by jambouz on topic Upgrade LimeSurvey to PHP 8.2
Hello DenisChenu,

we expect to update LimeSurvey to the latest version (6.X version) before upgrading to PHP 8.2.

However, because we are dealing with very critical surveys to the organization, we would like to know if we can encounter any situation where some of these surveys will be broken related to the upgrade.

I ask that because these surveys are highly important to the organization and cannot tolerate any kind of failure or downtime.

Thanks for you answer.

• DenisChenu
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #255564 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Upgrade LimeSurvey to PHP 8.2

I ask that because these surveys are highly important to the organization and cannot tolerate any kind of failure or downtime.

Nobody can tell you it's OK to update.
Even big company like Facebook, Google or Cloudfare have downtime.

Create a post production instance (same server, same system, same DB etc …) and test, test , test and test again.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose