Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings

• cgrewal94
  • cgrewal94's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #252010 by cgrewal94
Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings was created by cgrewal94
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 5.6.43
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own
Survey theme/template: Custom
==================
Hi there,

We recently upgraded from Limesurvey 3.x to 5.x and noticed that when we have a large survey, the settings in the survey take a long time to save. For instance, if I go into presentation settings and switch anything and hit "save" it takes around 30 seconds to apply the changes. I have also noticed that when clicking on a question when the survey is offline, the "add new question to group" is very delayed. I have attached my LSS. Let me know if anything else is needed - thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• cgrewal94
More
5 months 4 days ago #252509 by cgrewal94
Replied by cgrewal94 on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings
Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the slowdown?

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 months 4 days ago #252545 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings
Just imported the survey into LS6 (which I happened to have open). First I got an error when importing, but the second time I could import.

I then went to the presentation page and changes something. Yes, it took some time, but not 30 seconds. I counted 10-20 seconds on different occasions. There seems to be a lot going on in the background, because at the beginning it doesn't seem to do anything and towards the end of the 10-20 seconds it shows movement in the status bar of the browser loading a new URL.

Loading the survey logic file took quite a while as well. There are a couple of errors and warnings, but this is mainly due to the TOKEN not being set and assigning new values to variables. So this looks OK to me.

But of course, you have A LOT of equations. This is heavy for the system, for sure.

Not sure why this would impact on changing the settings in "Presentation" though. But I am not a developer.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 months 3 days ago #252547 by Surveylab_KN
Replied by Surveylab_KN on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings
This behavior seems familiar to me. The general survey settings in particular often take a few seconds to save. At first it seems as if nothing is happening. But unfortunately I don't know why that is. I assumed that this is simply due to the processing of the data volume and is the same for everyone.

• DenisChenu
More
5 months 3 days ago #252567 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings

This behavior seems familiar to me. The general survey settings in particular often take a few seconds to save. At first it seems as if nothing is happening. But unfortunately I don't know why that is. I assumed that this is simply due to the processing of the data volume and is the same for everyone.
The general survey settings take a few seconds since some month now. This seems abnormal to me because theer are less process in global settings than in Question edit

Maybe need to be reported ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

• cgrewal94
More
5 months 3 days ago #252586 by cgrewal94
Replied by cgrewal94 on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings
Yeah, for my shorter surveys it takes a few seconds before it saves but I noticed the longer the survey the more time it takes. Like holch mentioned, it sometimes takes 10-20 seconds before saving. I think this would be worth reporting!

• DenisChenu
More
5 months 3 days ago #252589 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Limesurvey 5.6.43 slow saving settings

Yeah, for my shorter surveys it takes a few seconds before it saves but I noticed the longer the survey the more time it takes. Like holch mentioned, it sometimes takes 10-20 seconds before saving. I think this would be worth reporting!
For short survey : i don't have explanation (and browser seems not act during a time) : i already click 4 times on the button
For big survey : issue is in Expression Manager construction.  Really dependant on the server memory, speed and configuration.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose