Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Data loss if upgrade?

• kathryncarpenter
  • kathryncarpenter's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #251053 by kathryncarpenter
Data loss if upgrade? was created by kathryncarpenter
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.28.74
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:
==================
Hi all,

I have received a message that my LimeSurvey version will automatically upgrade to version 6.0. 

We have several surveys live between now and November, and I wonder if they will still work post update. They are all using the same slightly modified vanilla theme (e.g., the end and clear data button removed). 

Is there a chance that I lose my existing surveys or any of my collected data? 

We have hundreds of surveys and tens of thousands of responses. Is there a way to mass download our entire survey catalogue to be on the safe side?

Many thanks for your help,
Kathryn 

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #251056 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Data loss if upgrade?
First of all, make a database update to be on the save side.

In LS5 go to "Configuration" --> "Advanced" --> "Backup entire database" (if this is available in the SaaS offering).

This will guarantee that you don't loose any data. However, you should considering downloading your survey data on a regular basis anyway, in my opinion. LImesurvey is a data collection tool, not a tool to store / analyze data.

Now, if you use any workaround (e.g. via Javascript) or if you have custom themes they might be impacted. Afaik, the themes in LS6 are slightly different to the ones in LS5 and a lot different to LS3, so you might have to make some adaptations.

I would talk to Limesurvey GmbH about it. If you have several surveys running until November, discuss with them what would be a good date to upgrade so you have minimal impact on your surveys (there is never the perfect time for upgrades, but there might be times that are better than others) and maybe you can set a specific time frame for the upgrade. I would try to talk to them about it and see what the response is.

The chance of losing any survey data during the upgrade is minimal, in my opinion. However, it is better safe than sorry. I just now see that you are still on LS3. I was quite sure that all SaaS is already on LS5 by now. However, everything that I mentioned is still valid, but changes are a bit bigger from LS3 to LS6 than from LS5 to LS6.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #251059 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Data loss if upgrade?

I have received a message that my LimeSurvey version will automatically upgrade to version 6.0.

Who is hosting and managing your LimeSurvey installation?  The risk to lose data is not higher than without an upgrade BUT the risk to no longer be able to run a survey is higher. LS 6 will have new bugs and glitches which might delay your planned operations. holch already covered the details.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

• DenisChenu
More
6 months 1 week ago #251308 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Data loss if upgrade?
Clearly : i didn't update from 3 to 6 with maximum return guarantee.

Make backup !

And best is to update to 5.X : more compatible.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose