Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Limesurvey 5.6.35 admin slow load

• brais24
  • brais24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #246149 by brais24
Limesurvey 5.6.35 admin slow load was created by brais24
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 5.6.35
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own
Survey theme/template: Default
==================
Hi there, recently i update my LS version from 3.25 to 5.6.35, adn i notice that in the admin panel, Limesurvey takes too long to change screens, for example, if i am on a question of a survey and click on another question, takes like 10-15 seconds to change, with tha LS version update i update too the PHP version, from 7.4 to 8.0 wich is the version of PHP for this version of Limesurvey.

When i execute a survey like a participant seems to load normal the pages.

¿Can anyone help me to fix this or tell me why this happens?

Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #246289 by brais24
Replied by brais24 on topic Limesurvey 5.6.35 admin slow load
¿Nobody knows a possible reason fot his? ¿And how to solve it?

Thank you.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246301 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Limesurvey 5.6.35 admin slow load
Very difficult to troubleshoot. We do not know your server environment, we have no access to it, etc.

Years ago, there has been issues with Comfort Update slowing down the backend, if it could not connect to the update server, e.g. because the Limesurvey installation can not connect to the internet or a firewall is blocking things.

Search on the forum, there is a way to switch this off, so that Comfort Update doesn't try to connect to the server. Not sure if this is still an issue or if this is your case, but was an issue once, some years back.

But I haven't seen anything about a slow backend in the forum lately, so I don't think this this is a general issue, but probably something specific to your installation / server environment.

Did you check before the update, if your environment supports the installation requirements of LS5?
manual.limesurvey.org/Installation_-_Lim...rvey_on_your_website

What is your PHP version? Is your database on the same server? How do you connect? What database are you running on?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246302 by holch
By the way, the most recent version is LS 5.6.36, so update and see if the problem persists.

The release notes do not indicate any fix for a slow interface, but you never know:

-Fixed issue: input-on-demand arrow-row-icon arrow-down typo (Kevin Foster)
-Fixed issue #19028: Send email only to participants with partial responses - should not be available for anonymous surveys (Kevin Foster)
-Fixed issue #19003: [security] XSS Reflected via import file function (#3375) (Gabriel Jenik)
-Fixed issue #18904: Stored XSS with Expression Script in End page (#3327) (Gabriel Jenik)
#Updated translation: Italian by lfanfoni
#Updated translation: Italian (Informal) by lfanfoni
#Updated translation: German by c_schmitz, maren.fritz
#Updated translation: German (Informal) by c_schmitz, maren.fritz

By the way, how did you update from LS3 to LS5? Manually? Or via Comfort Update?

If manually: Are you sure you copied all files into the installation folder? Check if any file is missing.

You probably also want to switch on the debug mode, to see if something comes up. And also check your server logfiles if they show something strange.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246339 by brais24
I have the update 5.6.36 yesterday, i installed it via Comfort Update, when i do the update installation, Limesurvey say that i have all the necesary to update to Limesurvey 5.
I have Limesurvey on a shared  hosting and my php version is 8.0, the recomended for Limesurvey 5.

I don't think it's a Comfort update problem because I updated the platform with that feature precisely so that there wouldn't be any problems, or could ComfortUpdate be generating a problem even though I updated normally?

I have all Limesurvey versions on this shared hosting and i dont have problems with it, except for this version, i can't check if the hosting have this features, but i suppose not because Comfort Update says that i have all requirements before the update.
  • php.ini `short_open_tag` setting should be set to `ON`
  • The following PHP modules/libraries should be enabled:
    • mbstring (Multibyte String Functions)  extension library.
    • PDO database driver for MySQL (pdo_mysql or pdo_mysqli) or Postgres (pdo_pgsql) or MSSQL ( pdo_sqlsrv  for Windows and  pdo_dblib  for Linux).
    • Also, we assume in general that all PHP default libraries are enabled
      • hash
      • session
      • openssl or mcrypt
      • fileinfo
      • SimpleXML
      • etc …
Any idea?

And other question, if this problem persists, and i have to make rollback to Limesurvey 3, how can i do it if its possible?

As i say, this problem seems to be on the admin page, the surveys i tested seems to work fine when you execute it, so is not a extremely big problem for now.

Thank you.

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246340 by brais24
I checked right now the requirements executing phpinfo and i found all of it except one, so i suposse the requirements is not the problem.

short_open_tag = ON
mbstring = enabled
hash = enabled
session = enabled
openssl = enabled
mcrypt = not found
fileinfo = enabled
SimpleXML = enabled

• tpartner
  • Away
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246366 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Limesurvey 5.6.35 admin slow load
In Configuration --> Plugins, try disabling "ComfortUpdateChecker" and "UpdateCheck".

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246500 by brais24
I have only the "ComfortUpdateChecker", the other option dont appear, i dont know if that is good, bad, or doesn't matter.

I deactivate "ComfortUpdateChecker" and test, i let you know if there is some differences.

Thanks.

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246520 by brais24
Looks like have no effect change that, how can i activate de degub mode to try to find any error or something like that?

Thank you.

• holch
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246521 by holch

• brais24
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 months 6 days ago #250554 by brais24
Ive been talking with my hosting provider, and they tell me that i have too many files on there, we increase the performance of the hosting and seems to work a little bit better but just too a little bit, thinking of the things that my provider tell me, i see i have 56 active surveys, and another inactive surveys, can the number of active surveys, or the number of surveys have an impact of the performance of the platform?

This problem happens to me since i update from LS 3.25 to LS 5, but i have to try things to fix the performance issues on admin side.

Thanks.

• holch
More
7 months 6 days ago - 7 months 6 days ago #250559 by holch
I highly doubt that the number of files will have an impact on the performance.

I have not noticed any impact on the performance of the LImesurvey Backend (Admin GUI) between LS3, LS5 and LS6.

Now running a lot of surveys at the same time, having a lot of concurrent users and survey takers accessing the surveys at the same time will naturally have an impact on your websites (in this case LS) performance.

Are you running LS on shared hosting? Or a VPS? Or a dedicated server?

56 active surveys itself aren't a big deal. But if these surveys receive a lot of responses every minute, then yes, this can have an impact. But the number of surveys itself isn't a big deal, it is more the number of concurrent users at any given time.

You can have 1000 active surveys, if you only get 1-2 responses per day, you shouldn't run into trouble in any hosting environment. But having 1 survey with lets say 100 concurrent respondents (100 people responding at the same time) might already be too much for some weaker hosting environments.

Last edit: 7 months 6 days ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose