Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Different versions

• brais24
  • brais24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 months 3 days ago #245994 by brais24
Different versions was created by brais24
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.25
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own
Survey theme/template: Fruity
==================
Hi there, is just a simple question that i dont found explanation, i was recently testing the limesurvey 6 to see the differences between that version and the version that i currently have, and shock me so much the new aspect for the admin interface.

But i was shocked even more when i see the version of the new Limesurvey, wich it say "LimeSurvey Community Edition Versión 6.2.3+230821", my actual version is just "Versión 3.25.6+201229" ¿is there 2 versions of Limesurvey?

And if you look the version history seems like is a version 5 and other version 6 of Limesurvey in development at the same time.
community.limesurvey.org/releases/

¿Can someone explain me the difference between this versions if is there any difference? Because i search for info and dont found nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 months 3 days ago #245996 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Different versions

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• brais24
  • brais24's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 months 3 days ago #245997 by brais24
Replied by brais24 on topic Different versions
Well, that make me to have a most clear idea, but i think is a little bit confuse, have multiple versions of the same platform.

Thanks joffm.

• holch
More
8 months 3 days ago #246003 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Different versions
The problem is, that people do not update. Have a look at your version, it is 3.25.6+201229. That means that it was released at the end of 2020. Almost 3 years ago. There are far newer versions of the same LS3 branch.

The same for upgrades. A lot of organizations do not want to upgrade regularly. So older versions are still supported and receive bug fixes and security updates, but no new features anymore. Like LS 3 at the moment. It is supported, but it doesn't get any new features, just the necessary in terms of bug fixes and security updates, so that people who do not want to UPGRADE their version yet, at least can update it.

LS5 and LS6 are very similar in terms of features, the main change seems to be the new backend interface.

I don't see it as very confusing. This is a concept that also exists for operating systems (at the moment Windows 11 is the recent version, but Windows 10 still receives security support.

Same for different office versions.

Believe me, the Limesurvey team would prefer to have to maintain only 1 version of Limesurvey, but if they would stop supporting older versions once the newer version came out, there would be a lot of outcry in the forum.

You can expect the support for LS3 to run out soon. Then only LS5 and LS6 will be supported.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose