Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Theme option returns ISE 500 error (Version 4.2.3+200511)

• jpowell
  • jpowell's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #199390 by jpowell
I installed LimeSurvey 4.2.3+200511 using the CPanel Softualicous software installer. All good. I extended a theme so I can customize with my logo ..and clicked on "Theme Options" and get Internal Server Error 500

500: Internal Server Error
Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string
An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request.

What gives?
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #199391 by DenisChenu

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • jpowell
More
3 years 11 months ago #199394 by jpowell
and the prior version that I'm running on my local computer is fine. 4.2.0+200422

But really, I would rather export the theme I have on my local server to import into the hosted server.
  • jpowell
More
3 years 11 months ago #199405 by jpowell
I'm finding the same error message everywhere now.

I'm running php 7.4 on the webserver.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 11 months ago #199410 by DenisChenu
Maybe revert to 4.2.0 until bug are fixed are the best solution.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200557 by zlobocki
I've found a solution to this - you have to have PHP7.2 enabled for your site when extending the theme.

I.e: PHP 7.2 is needed not when editing the extended theme (I think), but it is needed when you are creating it - I guess the code conflicts with later versions of PHP and assigns an incorrect class.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by zlobocki.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 10 months ago #200561 by DenisChenu
@zlobocki : maybe you can comment with detail on mantis issue ?

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200562 by zlobocki
I had just set up a new instance of limesurvey, but had another old one on a separate server with the same hosting provider.

I noticed that, in the new instance, extending a theme causes a total malfunction of the new extended theme. Some of the symptoms:
- 500 error when trying to enter theme options for the extended theme; "Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string" is the error message
- error when trying to preview a survey with the extended theme set

Because it was working fine for the old instance, and it was the same hosting, I tried to solve the issue by looking for differences. Reverting the malfunctioning insance to LimeSurvey 4.1.0 (the version of the first instance) did not fix the bug.

I then looked at all the other settings and noticed that the malfunctioning server was using PHP 7.4 while the old server was using 7.2. I changed PHP settings, and while the problem was still popping up in extended themes previously created under PHP 7.4, it was solved for extended themes created with PHP version 7.2.

So database type is MySQL, PHP 7.4 causes malfunction while PHP 7.2 does not, the server meets all the requirements and recommendations for hosting LS. Presumably, the malfunction consists of an incorrect class being assigned to *something* when creating an extended theme. If I can provide any more data, please let me know specifically what is needed.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by zlobocki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200564 by DenisChenu
On mantis issue please :https://bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=16245

LimeSurvey dev core team didn't read Community forum.

Edit : Thank you !!!

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by DenisChenu.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose