Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Slider Position

• illessa
  • illessa's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 months 1 week ago #251188 by illessa
Slider Position was created by illessa
Hi!

I have used "Multiple numerical input" for a question. The slider is causing issues on mobile devices though - several people have reported that it's difficult to move the slider when they have zoomed in a bit, thus the slider is not shown completely and the page jumps when they move the slider.

I tried to counteract that by reducing the size of the slider but it's shown on the far right side of the page (also when the text input box width is on default). Is there an option to change the position of the slider? In the subquestion I have only set text for the right and left side of the slider.

Screenshots of the question and the display section of the question are attached.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #251190 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Slider Position

that it's difficult to move the slider when they have zoomed in a bit

This is obvious.
If they zoom in the displayed page  is wider than the screen resulting in horizontal scrolling.
I usually try to avoid sliders on smartphones.
But I do not see any issue.

Mobile:

Desktop:

And:

by reducing the size of the slider but it's shown on the far right side of the page

Of course. You reduced the size of the slider but at the same time increased the width of the subquestion (still "default"). You see, now the label column width is 50%.
To do what you tried, you could set the text input width to 50% and the label column width to 25%:
Well, that's nonsense.

You should hide the label column width and .set the text input width to 92%. This will result in a better vertical alignment on desktops than a setting of 100%
Feel free to compare.

But as you not only ignored the questions at the beginning but removed them, no better answer

Joffm

And I prefer "Umfangreiche Funktionen, die trotzdem einfach zu bedienen sind"
What a question!

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Joffm.

• illessa
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #251193 by illessa
Replied by illessa on topic Slider Position
On my Android mobile, it looks like in your screenshot. The issues were reported from people with iPhone (the ones I know of are: one with iPhone 12 Pro Max software version 16.7, the other one with iPhone SE2020).

92% looks indeed so much better than default, thanks for the tip. I tried out a lot of % but not that one.

I removed the questions in the beginning because I can't answer them.The Limesurvey account is of my university, and they neither display the version nor the survey theme/template. So here we go:
Your LimeSurvey version: unknown
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: through university, so maybe "own" server?
Survey theme/template: unknown

P.S.: Then your answer would be in the middle at 50. Believe it or not, many people prefer a reduced number of functions based on papers on the topic, and this is what I have to evaluate. I need to go with criteria defined by researchers.
Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by illessa.

• holch
More
6 months 1 week ago #251214 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Slider Position
Universities usually do not touch Limesurvey at all. I highly doubt they hide the Limesurvey version (you can find it usually on the bottom right of every administration screen).

And I also do not see how they could hide the name of the theme that is used, this would require major modification of Limesurvey.

but if this is true, it is difficult to really help, because we don't know which version you are exactly using (there are currently 3 supported branches and some universities are really behind and even run versions that are not supported anymore e.g. 2.x).

So this makes it quite hard to reproduce your issues, as different versions, and especially different themes can behave differently.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• illessa
More
6 months 1 week ago #251215 by illessa
Hi holch,

I fully understand that this is difficult. In order to have the necessary information for next time, can you please help me where I can find it?

I'm not sure what you mean with administration screen. Is it the one where I see my own surveys? There is nothing at the bottom of the screen. If I enter one of my surveys, it leads me directly to the Settings page ("Settings" is selected, "Structure" is right next to it). On the overview of the survey settings there is nothing either at the bottom. I don't see any other administration screen. When I click on "Umfrageverwaltung" which is the only German menu item, it leads me to a page from my uni, listing my surveys with ID, start/end date, status. Neithin at the bottom of this screen either.

In the settings of my survey under overview there is nothing entered under "Survey general settings - theme". I did find under general settings the template "FeU Blue standard" now though, which is the only available one. At least one box ticked. 

I have attached screenshots as reference.

• illessa
More
6 months 1 week ago #251216 by illessa
One screenshot was not accepted, here it is again.

• holch
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #251218 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Slider Position
Great, seems like your university really went out of their way to make it impossible for us to help. I guess they want that you ask them for support directly. :-)

"Administration" pages are those where you create and manage your surveys. So once you are logged into the system, these are all "administration" pages (opposite to questionnaire pages, where this information is of course not displayed)

I did find under general settings the template "FeU Blue standard" now though, which is the only available one. At least one box ticked.

OK, so it seems like your university is forcing you to use just one theme and it is a custom theme. Which also can make trouble shooting more difficult, as we do not know what they did to this theme. Often custom themes "break" things, because they are not sufficiently tested with every single question type, etc. So then the solution is often to fall back to a standard theme that comes with Limesurvey to see if this is the case. That won't be possible with your installation. So trouble shooting is quite difficult this way.

At least the screenshots let me come to the conclusion that they are not running a extremely old LS branch, e.g. 2.x or even 1.x. Seems like 3.x or above.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 6 months 1 week ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: illessa

• illessa
More
6 months 1 week ago #251220 by illessa
Thank you so much for your input. Now I feel less crazy.
Not very satisfying (not your fault of course), but at least next time I can state a probably version. :-)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose