Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Field IPADDR: Last octet always 0?

• MERose
  • MERose's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #241434 by MERose
Field IPADDR: Last octet always 0? was created by MERose
I collected the IP address during the survey in order to filter out duplicate answers (people can circumvent the LimeSurvey cookie with another browser or in inkognito mode).

Now I realise the fourth octet of the collected IP address is always 0. Does that mean, LimeSurvey shades the fourth octet and only collects the first three octets?

PS: This question is not about design, but there's no dedicated board for answers/analysis.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 1 month ago #241451 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Field IPADDR: Last octet always 0?
What is your setting here?

If you set it to "Yes" the IP address will be anonymized by "0" in the last part.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

• holch
More
1 year 1 month ago #241453 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Field IPADDR: Last octet always 0?
Like Joffm: There is a setting to anonymize the IP address, which will get rid of the last part of the IP address.

I collected the IP address during the survey in order to filter out duplicate answers (people can circumvent the LimeSurvey cookie with another browser or in inkognito mode).

I don't think that the IP helps much either. Most people today have very easy access to at least two IP addresses.

Where I am right now, I have access to 3 different IP Addresses, without a big effort (two different fixed internet connections plus my mobile connection). Then there is the connection at home. So if someone really wants to take part in your survey more than once, the IP address is basically as easy to circumvent as the cookie. So while it might stop some, I don't think it is a very good measure.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

• MERose
  • MERose's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 1 month ago #241494 by MERose
Replied by MERose on topic Field IPADDR: Last octet always 0?
Thanks for the answers guys! Indeed our IP addresses are anonymised. That's not what I understand as anonymised but whatever. This is just truncation. When the bugtracker works again (for new accounts) I will suggest to pseudonymise the IP address instead.

I think we overlooked this because our global settings are to not anonymise IP address by default:

Would also be good if we had the help text in the global settings and the local settings:  

You seem to have them.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose