Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Response is not captured except last one with multiple response on

• informatics+659
  • informatics+659's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 7 months ago #231540 by informatics+659
Please help us help you and fill in where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Community Edition Version 5.3.32+220817
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own server
Survey theme/template: Vanilla
==================
We host an instance of Limesurvey CE on our server.
We enabled multiple responses for one of our surveys with "Allow multiple responses or update responses" On and "participant-based response persistence" Off.
A participant had to submit three responses, but only the final response was updated on the database. Also, the participant received the confirmation of submission emails for all three answers.
What could be the possible reasons for this, and what can be done to avoid this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #231547 by jelo
If you set "participant-based response persistence" off , the setting "Allow multiple responses or update responses" means "Allow multiple responses".
If you set "participant-based response persistence" on, it means update responses.

So the behaviour you described is as intended by the settings.
The respondent created three responses. One after another. And only the latest response-record will be reachable as long as the respondent is in the session/cookie.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 7 months ago #231584 by holch
@jelo:

We enabled multiple responses for one of our surveys with "Allow multiple responses or update responses" On and "participant-based response persistence" Off.

He/she says that "participant-based response persistence" to OFF (since when has this changed from token based to participant based?)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
1 year 7 months ago #231603 by jelo

He/she says that "participant-based response persistence" to OFF (since when has this changed from token based to participant based?)

I don't follow the translation at all. Currently it's called "Enable participant-based response persistence".
At least the functionality was unchanged ;-)

• holch
More
1 year 7 months ago #231632 by holch
But you noticed that OP's settings are the ones you mentioned should work, right?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
1 year 7 months ago #231655 by jelo

But you noticed that OP's settings are the ones you mentioned should work, right?

I don't get what you want to tell me.
In a nutshell:
The settings explained by the threadstarter and the described results are coherent for me.
Three responses from one respondent, but only the last record was updated.

• holch
More
1 year 7 months ago #231661 by holch
Well, I am not sure, maybe I am confused.

- "Allow multiple responses or update responses": ON
- "Participant-based response persistence": OFF

With these configurations I would expect that if I start a response and then stop it and go back, it would start a new response (with the first one being incomplete)

So I would think, that with every start of the survey a new line in the response table is created and if someone fills in the survey multiple times (complete or incomplete), there should be multiple entries for this token/participant.

But maybe I am interpreting this wrong here.

More
1 year 7 months ago #231663 by jelo

So I would think, that with every start of the survey a new line in the response table is created and if someone fills in the survey multiple times (complete or incomplete), there should be multiple entries for this token/participant.

Correct, that's what I expected too.

So we differ in the way we interpret these lines.

A participant had to submit three responses, but only the final response was updated on the database. Also, the participant received the confirmation of submission emails for all three answers.

For me  "only the final response was updated" indicates that there are three responses in the set from one person. The three emails sent are another indication.
The wording "updated" is another hint for me.
The odds are very high that this is no bug. The option ""Allow multiple responses or update response" is causing confusion since the beginning.
E.g. bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12825

• holch
More
1 year 7 months ago #231665 by holch
OK, so our differences are in how we read what is happening, not how we think it should work with these settings. Glad about that!

Yes, I agree. I think it is a usability issue to have two settings where one setting influences the behaviour of the other setting like this.

I think this should be on setting with various options, because it is not immediately clear what happens when you make modifications to both of these settings.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose