Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Issues with multiple choice question with >200 subquestions

• asilbering
  • asilbering's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago #200802 by asilbering
Hi all,

I am working with LS 3.19.2+191017.

In my survey there is one multiple choice question with more than 200 subquestions (see attached survey, question "SSP").

The first issue is that when I added the subquestions using "quick add/replace" function some of them end up in a random order (See attached picture), and some were even deleted. I managed to correct this by exporting the survey and editing the csv, but it was quite painful... I believe this is a bug, but unfortunately I don't have all the information required to report it (I am missing the DB version and PHP version, and the person who did the installation is not available).

Now to the sencond issue :
Some of the subquestions are only displayed upon selection of a given subquestion through subquestion relevance. When testing the survey in different browsers I realized that this design really slows down things (after clicking on the "category" subquestion it takes 4-5 seconds for the other subquestions to be displayed, and then it takes a couple of seconds to get them selected). This effect is worse when using Safari, but also in Firefox it is quite slow.

Can this be solved somehow? Splitting the question (with some subquestions in Q1 and some in Q2) does help, but is not really elegant and brings some problems with the next question ("nivSSP" which is an array question filtered by the answers to the first one).

I hope this explanation was clear and I gave you all the elements you need to help me!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
Best regards,

Ana
The topic has been locked.
  • asilbering
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200811 by asilbering
Deleted
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by asilbering. Reason: deleted
  • asilbering
More
3 years 10 months ago #200818 by asilbering

asilbering wrote: Can this be solved somehow? Splitting the question (with some subquestions in Q1 and some in Q2) does help, but is not really elegant and brings some problems with the next question ("nivSSP" which is an array question filtered by the answers to the first one).

I already found a solution to the problem with the filtered array in case I need to split the first question, I realized it is possible to filter with more than one question. The problem of the delayed response if I keep many subquestions remains.

Thanks!
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200822 by tpartner
There is currently no fix for the time-lag when having many sub-questions and relevance conditions in a single page. It is caused by the amount of time required for Expression manager to process all conditions when a value is changed.

The only solution is to break up the question and place it on multiple pages.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by tpartner.
  • asilbering
More
3 years 10 months ago #200825 by asilbering
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Do I understand correctly that splitting the question but keeping them all on the same page will not help either? Does this concern only the time to evaluate the relevance within a question or also across questions (for example for the use of the array filter, and other question relevance equations)?

Thanks !
Best,
Ana
  • tpartner
More
3 years 10 months ago #200836 by tpartner
I don't know, I have not tested that in the latest 3.x versions.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Joffm
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #200844 by Joffm
Hi,
because it was obvious to me that these two questions are on different pages (I really thought it was an error that it was set "group by group") I tested this and found ...

The SSP is really fast, but the next question takes some time to parse the filter.
I have no idea if there is a difference if you use subquestion relevance.
Up to you to check.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Joffm.
  • asilbering
More
3 years 10 months ago #200871 by asilbering
Thanks Joffm and Tony!

I will run some tests and get back to you if I have more questions.

Best regards, Ana

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose