Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Data Entry in admin mode

• myd_IMISE
  • myd_IMISE's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 6 days ago #197410 by myd_IMISE
Data Entry in admin mode was created by myd_IMISE
Dear all,
I have searched in all fora and tested and changed all I could on our installation, but to no joy. Here is the problem I am facing: We want to use the Data Entry feature in the admin mode for a survey that was open to the public until recently. Due to some restrictions, we now want to move to this method only. The questionnaire worked just fine when individuals using their tokend input their data from the web, with no performance or other issues. However, in the admin mode, data cannot be entered into the same questionnaire (which is currently set on expired). When I click on save, the page just hangs and nothing happens at all, no matter how long I wait.
In order to test, I created another questionnaire, which is expired and I can entere data in the admin mode. The main difference is that my test survey has only a few fields to enter and the other one over 800. Can this be the problem? i.e. in admin mode there is a certain restriction on the number of fields or so?
We have Version 3.21.1+191210 of Limesurvey.
Any tips and ideas are welcome.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 6 days ago #197462 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Data Entry in admin mode
800 fields is quite a bit. It shouldn't be a problem in terms of the database, but who knows, maybe there is some kind of bug or your server settings are the problem.

The first thing I would do is create a copy of the questionnaire and then try to see if the data entry works in the copy. If this works, there might be something wrong in your original survey file.

If this doesn't change anything, I would export the survey to LSS and then import it again and see if the problem is solved.

This is to rule out anything weird going on within the current survey file.

If this all doesn't help, I would check the PHP info and see the max_vars setting. Maybe it is too low and PHP can not transfer all the 800 fields at once (if I remember right, the data entry screen shows all fields at the same time, right?).

If this doesn't help, I would create a bug report. I just saw that your version is not the latest. So before creating a bug report, update to the latest version of your branch, which is 3.22.13 LTS (don't go to LS4!).

So if nothing helps, but you need to do the data entry urgently, I would recommend to create a copy of the survey and do the data entry as if it was an online survey. Might take longer, but it should work. Why in a copy of the survey? You could always 'un-expire" the original survey, but then there is a risk that someone else fills in the questionnaire as well.
Not a a solution for the actual problem, but at least should allow you to continue your work.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: myd_IMISE
  • myd_IMISE
More
4 years 5 days ago #197534 by myd_IMISE
Replied by myd_IMISE on topic Data Entry in admin mode
Thank you for the suggestion, indeed 800 fields are shown in one go in this mode. So, we increased the values as suggested, and at least in my test version it is working.
  • myd_IMISE
More
4 years 5 days ago #197535 by myd_IMISE
Just an additional note, we did this:
we set max_post=500MB, which is rather high.
  • holch
More
4 years 5 days ago #197546 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Data Entry in admin mode
Yeah, max_post of 500MB sound a bit of an overkill. What was that value before? I don't think that a survey with 800 fields will require more than a couple of MBs to be transfered. But I am no expert on this.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: myd_IMISE
  • myd_IMISE
More
4 years 5 days ago #197555 by myd_IMISE
The previous value was 8 MB (I think installation standard value).

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose