Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Designing a survey in an unsupported language

• evhenii_access
  • evhenii_access's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 3 days ago #261536 by evhenii_access
Designing a survey in an unsupported language was created by evhenii_access
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Cloud Version 6.5.4  
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: LimeSurvey hosting
Survey theme/template:  Bootswatch

==================Hi, I need to design a survey in a language currently not included to a list of supported languages (Uzbek) - please advise if this looks feasible.  I was considering the following approach:-          Use supported language (English) as base language, add some other language (e.g. Kazakh) as additional language, add Uzbek questionnaire texts under this Kazakh label, hide language switch button – so that users see the Uzbek texts and are not misguided by wrong language name  -          Don’t use built-in tips, instead provide all instructions to the question in ‘help’ sectionHowever, I will also need to translate and replace all technical messages (e.g. warnings) to Uzbek language. Is it possible to create a theme extension where these messages can be translated and stored? What is the right way to access and edit a list of technical messages?     

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 week 3 days ago #261743 by holch
Of course this is feasible. Uzbek basically already exists. In theory. But it hasn't been translated yet:
translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-6/uz/default/

So you should be able to choose Uzbek already, but all the interface texts will be falling back to the default English, if they haven't been translated yet.

Which basically is 0% at the moment for LS6 ( translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-6/ ).

So ideally you would support the community by translating to Uzbek. I understand that it might be a little much to translate the missing 5351 strings in a short period of time.

However, many of those strings are for the backend (Limesurvey administration) and thus probably not really relevant. You probably will only need those that show in the questionnaire and I think these are quite a bit less.

What would I do: I would set this research up in Uzbek, even if the standard strings will still be in English. All the survey text and questions you can do in Uzbek anyway. And then I would look into the standard strings that you need for your survey and translate only those. You can translate them for your local installation only (if you are self hosting), which can you can implement quicker and do not have to wait for the next official update to include them. However, it would be great to give back to the community by including these strings also into the offical translation files.

Here more information on how to translate Limesurvey:
manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
1 week 11 hours ago #262573 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Designing a survey in an unsupported language
Else : you can create/replace the language string via the DB (need direct access)
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=19283#c78890

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose