Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to display all survey results publicly?

• bscwebmaster
  • bscwebmaster's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #252729 by bscwebmaster
How to display all survey results publicly? was created by bscwebmaster
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 6.3.7+231127 
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own
Survey theme/template: Fruity
==================

For the user, upon completion of a survey, LimeSurvey generates a link that reads, "View the statistics for this survey" which, when accessed, will show the user (and anyone else with the link) the stats of all who have voted, but not the written responses. LimeSurvey also generates a link that reads, "Print your answers" which shows both the numbers and the written responses, but only for the individual user.

How can I present all of the data publicly?

As an Admin I can go to the "Statistics" section and generate a wonderful HTML page of data with graphs and charts and the text responses, too. If I could somehow expose this page that would be perfect. But I'm open to any suggestions. For instance, if I've overlooked a configuration option to reveal the written responses on the public statistics page, that would be good to know. Simply turning on "Show in public statistics" for the question does not seem to be enough.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #252751 by holch

but not the written responses.

This is to protect you. Open-ended answers can contain a lot of things that you might not want or might not be allowed to publish. Therefore the open ended questions are not included into the public statistics, and this is a good thing.

Years of experience in market research have shown, that some people have no notion on what to put and what not to put into open-ended questions. From insults and profanity to confidential information like full names, addresses, telephone numbers, you can find it all. If you would automatically show the open ended answers, where you have no control over what people write, you could easily run into (even legal) trouble.

So I highly recommend NOT to show answers to open ended questions 'unfiltered', even if you could in Limesurvey (which you can't, at least not out of the box).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, bscwebmaster

• bscwebmaster
More
4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #252797 by bscwebmaster
Replied by bscwebmaster on topic How to display all survey results publicly?
Thank you for explaining.

Here at the Berkeley Student Cooperative we are using LimeSurvey to conduct what we call the "Vote of No Confidence," which is how our members hold their various house managers accountable and you are absolutely right, people say all kinds of crazy s@$#! Which is why we operate in closed-access mode and monitor it very closely and edit out objectionable things.

So, granting that to do so is officially a "Bad Idea," how can I do it? 

For printing answers I'm looking at
Code:
themes/survey/fruity_twentythree/views/subviews/printanswers/printanswers_head.twig
and 
Code:
themes/survey/fruity_twentythree/views/subviews/printanswers/printanswers_head.twig
and 
Code:
{{ C.Html.form(aSurveyInfo.printAnswersHeadFormQueXMLUrl, 'post') }}

For statistics I see 
Code:
application/views/statistics_user_view.php
and a provocative variable named
Code:
$statisticsoutput
I'm guessing I will need to discover what informs that variable and somehow add the written responses. This will be satisfactory if I can do it. The most amazing accomplishment would be to somehow liberate the lovely canvas objects from the Statistics page in Admin, but I'm quite a lazy coder and will settle for the easiest solution.

Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by bscwebmaster. Reason: Couldn't find the preview button

• holch
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #252802 by holch
As I said, I wouldn't do this in the "public statistics" as anyone who answers / has the link could read it.

You could probably get the responses via the API to your own hidden "results page", but I am not too familiar with this bit of Limesurvey.

Maybe someone else has a good idea.

From what I understand, you don't want the specific responses from each respondent, but rather a "total" result with all responses in one report, right?

I'd probably just download the results as CSV / Excel and go from there, rather than creating a online report. But that is just me.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• bscwebmaster
More
4 months 4 weeks ago #252803 by bscwebmaster
Replied by bscwebmaster on topic How to display all survey results publicly?

I'd probably just download the results as CSV / Excel

This is how we are currently doing it. But with three semesters a year, two surveys per semester and 20 houses... that's a lot of spreadsheets! 

but rather a "total" result with all responses in one report

Yes, precisely. The statistics page is good as it does this for the votes, but that only tells half the story. The written comments are also relevant.

I was just hoping for some hand-holding before I dived into the API. Thank you very much for responding!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose