Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to Limit one survey per ip address on open / public survey?

• johnstonf
  • johnstonf's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #205421 by johnstonf
Can i somehow limit one survey filled out per ip address on an open / public survey?

I want to have an open survey, but prevent multiple responses from one ipAddress
The topic has been locked.
More
3 years 7 months ago #205422 by cdorin
Not possible in LimeSurvey (at least not in the vanilla version). Someone asked some time ago the same thing here: forums.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-thi...nly-be-accessed-once

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 7 months ago #205500 by holch

I want to have an open survey, but prevent multiple responses from one ipAddress

Keep in mind that IP addresses are not always unique per respondent. E.g. in a company, school, university a lot of people are behind the same IP Address.

Also, if a respondent wants to respond various times the IP limit is not necessarily preventing this:
E.g. I can answer from my home network and from my work network and also from my mobile phone. At work I even have two different IPs. Then I could switch off my modem at home and the provider will assign a new IP address and I could go again. Or I can use a VPN to answer, go to a public hotspot, etc.

In my opinion: Not even worth the effort. Usually people do not want to answer twice anyway and should they really want to, they most probably will find a way around your IP limitation. In my opinion it create more problems than it solves.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• johnstonf
  • johnstonf's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 7 months ago #205508 by johnstonf
ya, i actually did see that thanks... just had a need for it (all home ip's and one per).

if not, i'll do the cookie method.

/f
  • holch
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #205509 by holch
You would have to create your own application that checks the IP against IPs previously used. This might prevent a few people from taking part twice, but only the ones with very little motivation and very little knowledge in IT.

Maybe it could be also solved with a custom plugin. But to be honest, the effort and cost involved would probably not worth it, for the above mentioned reasons.

It would be like adding a better lock to your gate, but leave the wholes in the fence. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose