Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Adding new users

• ksemmler
  • ksemmler's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #200004 by ksemmler
Adding new users was created by ksemmler
Hello,

I tried to add two news users and it does not work as expected. One of them told me that he recieved an email from Lime Survey but the name and password does not work. He got the following notification " Fehlermeldung: „Incorrect username and/or password!“. The other user did not get anything (no email confirmation).

Then I tried to make a test by adding a new user with another email address from myself, and I also did not get an email, nothing.

Both persons are listed as new users. But they cannot log-in. Is there another way I can allow these two people to access LS?

What could be the problem?Perhaps I do not have the right to add new users...but I am as administrator. I am using Version 3.22.15+200505, Attached is a screenshot of the error I get.

Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by ksemmler. Reason: Add attachment
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 11 months ago #200018 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Adding new users
What are your email setting that you have configured in LS?

Because the error that you are showing is telling me, that there has been an error while sending the email.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ksemmler
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #200040 by ksemmler
Replied by ksemmler on topic Adding new users
Thank you for your reply Holch.

As a survey administrator I have given my own email address. This can be seen in the first page when you open a survey. That is the page where the link to the survey is provided. In this page is also disclosed the texts elements and timeframe of the survey. As far as I understand, I have the rights of a "superadministrator" - i.e. all the rights.

The below information is available in the first page of LS when you open a survey:
Administrator Name:
here is my name (here my email address)

Lime Survey is failing to send an email to the users I want to add. If I provide my own email addres or the email address of the users I want to add, no email is sent by Lime Survey. However, the information provided (user name, email and full name) is saved and users are listed as added. I do not know how they can access Lime Survey...
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by ksemmler.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #200068 by holch
I mean the Limesurvey email settings itself, in general. Because the emails are obviously not send out. LS notices this and tells you so by the error message "Warnung! Email für xxx@yyy.xyz fehlgeschlagen."

So with this warning, I am not suprised that no one receives an email, because no email has been sent.

What we need to do now is find out WHY no emails have been sent.

In any way, if it is urgent for those users to access, you can invite them with an email outside of Limesurvey. As far as I remember, you can always change the password of an user if you are a super admin and then send the password to the user yourself, without using the Limesurvey-Funktion.

But to solve your problem: Check your email settings in "Configuration" --> "Global Settings" --> "Email Settings".

Also check if only the new user emails are not working or if any email at all is being sent (token emails, admin notification emails, etc.).

In "email settings" you can also switch the SMTP debug mode on (if you are using SMTP as the method, which is recomendable)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by holch.
  • ksemmler
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #200112 by ksemmler
Yes, it is confirmed. LS is not sending emails.

I have now entered my email in Global settings and when I tried, one more time, to add a new user, is the same thing no email sent.

I also checked if I get the email confirmation from LS when a respondent submits the answers in questionnaire and I do not receive this email either. So, it seems that LS is not sending emails at all. Good point!

Lastly, when I tried to change the password of a user, as you mentioned, I noticed that I do not have that option - please see screenshot. I cannot let new users to access LS at all.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by ksemmler.
  • holch
More
3 years 11 months ago #200114 by holch
Then you are probably no Super-Admin. For me this form shows a field for the password at the bottom, I am currently on 3.22.13+200415.

But to solve your problem: Check your email settings in "Configuration" --> "Global Settings" --> "Email Settings".

So what about this? Is there anything configured?
Who is responsible for your installation of LS? Who is hosting it? Who set it up? Who would be the super-admin?

• ksemmler
More
3 years 10 months ago #200220 by ksemmler
Hi Holch,

Thanks again for your feedback!

I have confirmed with one of the persons who did the installation, that yes I am Super-admin.

But yes, it seems this has to do with the email configuration. This person told me that he still has to do the email settings. Now for that, our key question is, can we set up several email acoouns for different users? We will work together with people from 2 other companies, this is why we want to add them as users, but we do not want that they send information from our company´s email account? Can each of this new users have its own SMTP?

Thanks in advance.
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200226 by holch

This person told me that he still has to do the email settings.

Well, then it is not very surprising that no emails are being sent. ;-)

Regarding your question: I don't think you can configure more than 1 email address from which emails are sent.

However, I think emails are always sent by the general email account setup in globabl settings, but the Reply-to email is the one of the survey administrator.

Setting up individual emails (e.g. per survey) for sending emails is not part of Limesurvey.

However, you could always think about sending emails via another software e.g. PHP-List, but of course than the integration is not as tight (Limesurvey doesn't know if the invitation or reminder emails have been sent, etc.).

• ksemmler
More
3 years 10 months ago #200757 by ksemmler
Thanks Holch,

You were right! That had to do with the email settings. Now that issue is solved and I see all what you also see. Moreover adding users works without problems.

However, I still do not get the email confirmation when a participant fills out the questionnaire...What could the problem be? I revised and I provided my email address for that (Normale Bestätigung per E-Mail senden an: www@hhh) ...
  • holch
More
3 years 10 months ago #200761 by holch
Good that we have solved the general problem.

Now, in theory you should be receiving the confirmation email as well.

Have you tried with different email addresses to exclude the possibility that your email refuses reception or that the emails end up in your spam folder?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose