Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Folder permissions for uploading images into surveys

• jeskiv
  • jeskiv's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #152920 by jeskiv
Hi,

I had problems with uploading images into surveys (Edit question and from the WYSIWYG editor choose the image logo and then click "Browse server" which takes you to the KCFinder uploader). I was able to find a solution to the problems, but since I am not sure if it is a server issue or a bug, I thought I would explain it here:

I was able to upload images to the server, but they would not show in the survey. I found out that this was due to
1. KCFinder adds a .htaccess-file into the new upload/SURVEYID-folder it creates. By editing the third_party/kcfinder/conf/config.php and changing '_check4htaccess' to false I was able to prevent it from creating those .htaccess-files.
2. KCFinder created the folder only with full owner permissions, no permissions for group or user. It was supposed to be 0755, but it actually created 0700-permissions. I found out that this was due to wrong umask-setting, and I was able to fix the issue by adding into the file third_party/kcfinder/core/class/uploader.php around the mkdir() commands (found at least in lines 285 and 306) the reset for umask:
$old = umask(0);
mkdir();
umask($old);
After those lines the KCFinder creates the folder permissions correctly and viewing files works in surveys.

I am running version 2.63.1 (build 170305) with Apache, PHP5 and PostgreSQL.

I also tried to test this in demo.limesurvey.org, but it throws error "You don't have permissions to browse server." when I click "Browse server". Although, it doesn't seem to be running the latest version either (its 2.64.0 atm).

So basicly if this is a server issue I hope it helps someone else with similar issues and if this is universal issue, I hope it will be fixed in later versions. I don't have enough understanding about the umask to understand if it is server related or not.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago #152990 by tpartner
I don't know if it is server related either but, just in case it is a bug, please file a bug report with all of the server details.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • jeskiv
  • jeskiv's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #153102 by jeskiv
Ok, reported!
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #158377 by blocka
I also just encountered this issue. Changes @jeskiv suggested didn't resolve issue for me.

I changed line 24 of /third_party/kcfinder/conf/config.php from:

'disabled' => true,
to
'disabled' => false,

And this resolved the issue. But I think this opens a security hole, so I'm not keen to do that.

I'm using most recent LS release as of Sept 6, 2017.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by blocka.
  • DenisChenu
More
6 years 6 months ago #158387 by DenisChenu
This setings allow anyone to upload files with just the link to kcfinder.
It's set to enable according to session. I think the default session didn't have the same behaviour the LimeSUrvey.
Can you test with DBsession ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
6 years 6 months ago #158402 by blocka
Hi Denis, I found the steps to recreate the problem, and posted to issue:

bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12279#c44400

Appears to be a repeatable bug.
  • DenisChenu
More
6 years 6 months ago #158404 by DenisChenu
Great catch \o/ we set session in some admin page but not in the helper (maybe/surely/who knows)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose