Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Permission for people employed by another organisation

• manueldewez
  • manueldewez's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #162209 by manueldewez
Hello ,

I am thinking of installing Limesurvey (Surveyor Premium 12 package) on the server of my institution.

Once it is done, is it possible to grant permission to additional administrators who are external to my organisation (not employed by my organisation)?

Thank you
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 3 months ago #162217 by jelo

manueldewez wrote: Once it is done, is it possible to grant permission to additional administrators who are external to my organisation (not employed by my organisation)?

You should just install LS on the server (the subscription is just for the updates) and check the permission system on your own. You can add additional users with administrator level. But the permission system is not very granular compared to other survey software. The SaaS from LimeSurvey.org installs a separate installation for every customer. LimeSurvey isn't offering a permission system with a lot of different trust levels among administrator level. You need to check for your self or explain a bit more, what a external admin should not be able to do in your scenario.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • manueldewez
  • manueldewez's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #162248 by manueldewez
Thank you,
In my case, the external admin would have the same permissions as i have, as it is a collaborator on the same research project. Other softwares only grant permission to people working within the same institution, if the software is installed in an institution's server. I was wondering whether with LS we can give permission to anyone, including people working in other organisations.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 months ago #162254 by tpartner
You can give admin access to anyone who has access to the server where you have installed LimeSurvey.

So, if installed on an private intranet, you may have problems, if installed on a public web-server, no problems.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
6 years 3 months ago #162258 by jelo

manueldewez wrote: Other softwares only grant permission to people working within the same institution, if the software is installed in an institution's server.

That sounds like Surveysoftware via SaaS (no selfhosting), where they offer licenses to a certain entity (university research group or institute, but not the whole university). LS isn't currently limiting you in that area. As Tony already described, you can add any user as you like.
As long as LimeSurvey can be accessed via webbrowser, you're fine. The usermanagement is done inside LimeSurvey.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #162259 by LouisGac
the permission system will be updated in 2018 to be much more granular.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose