Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

User interface for designing surveys

• andrewz
  • andrewz's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #132022 by andrewz
User interface for designing surveys was created by andrewz
I just updated from LS 2.06 to 2.50, and the new user interface is difficult to use. Is it possible to switch back without downgrading?

One issue is in the Question Explorer the question groups are sorted by Group ID instead of Group Order.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10564
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 2 months ago #132032 by holch
Replied by holch on topic User interface for designing surveys
No. You have to downgrade to get the old interface back. This is why you usually try new versions before upgrading. I have 2.5 in a test environment and 2.06 in production.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #132066 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic User interface for designing surveys

andrewz wrote: ... the new user interface is difficult to use. Is it possible to switch back....

I think the same , but there are really not a lot of bug reported for ergonomy except mine.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10089
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10077
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10077#c33855
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10344
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10350

For exemple :
- we must have an access to survey logic file everywhere : when editing a question (becuse update question code can update surey logic in another group)
- Survey previes every where / Group preview everywhere (for exemple : when we are in question edit : find thge good relevance is more easy with previewing group)

Another one : Respect Standard form : add the button at the end of form (ALready reported and closed, i make a new bug report when found some time).

Denis
PS: anoter one : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=10574

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • holch
More
8 years 2 months ago #132090 by holch
@DenisChenu: I think work flow is a lost cause in this 2.5 version. This must be done before the interface is created, not afterwards. All we are doing now is fixing little problems, while 2.5 would have been a good chance to do some basic work on developing a GUI concept that makes sense and actually works well for users.

However, this has never happend. I had offered to help on this for the innitial 2.0 approach, but it never went forward and I didn't have the impression that the team was interested.

When I saw the new interface the first time it was clear that this is more or less defined and after the previous experience I didn't even bother to make suggestions. It is not bad. It actually looks quite nice, but in terms of workflow and ease of use I get more and more the impression that it takes a lot longer now to do stuff than before, which was already not the most ideal workflow. But anyway...
*frustrated*

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #132092 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: @DenisChenu: I think work flow is a lost cause in this 2.5 version. This must be done before the interface is created, not afterwards. ...

Hi holch,

I start bug report some week after 2.5 was started. You're right : maybe now it's too late for major concept (Why you don't test it before stable ?). But actually i can not work with 2.50, theh continue bug report for "when i have to work with it".

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • holch
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #132097 by holch
I tested before stable. But when there was the first possible Beta the design was basically already defined (Navigation, elements, etc.). The work for creating workflows, checking the needs of users, create personas, all the ux design phase would have been needed to be done long before. When I saw the interface for the first time, most strategic decisions were already made.

Then with the first or second update ComfortUpdate broke my test installation and it took me a while to get around and make a new clean install to be able to test again. And the end of the year is probably the busiest time of the year for us in market research, which means we need to finalize projects before the end of the year. And then Christmas down here falls together with the summer holidays and the 2 weeks around Christmas and New Year are the only ones where we can actually take off some time without any problems, as most clients are also off, so no request for quotes, etc. So the release candidates came actually at a very bad time for me to make any tests.

But, as said before. The actual problem is that once we got to see the new interface for the first time (demo installations from Louis) it was actually too late already to do some good research and creating a sustainable concept with different scenarios and persona (different profile of users that might use Limesurvey) in mind. I admit that at this time I could have made some suggestions for strategic changes. But for this i would have to do some research, speak with other users how they use the interface, see what user profiles are more common, define important workflows, see how we can best incorporate this recurring workflows into a good navigation, make wireframes, make sketches, as people about those suggestions, get back to create new wireframes based on suggestions, etc. And I didn't think that there would be any changes at that point, that this would be incorporated into the design, which was basically already defined somewhere by someone. I don't have insights into this process, but I from experience with clients I can imagine how this happened. ;-)

I think 2.5 would have been a good chance to really create a very good GUI for Limesurvey that looks good and works even better. Not that it doesn't work, but there are so many clitches that show that the GUI was designed by someone who usually doesn't create surveys or works with Limesurvey. And hey, we can't really blame the developer for it. He/she is usually not a designer, or a UX expert, or a everyday user of LS. What probably went wrong is that no one was asked. We have quite a few users here in the forum that use LS on a daily basis. Why not trying to get them on board? They might not be developers, but they are users.

And I don't take myself out of this critique. Seeing the outcome, I think I should have been more pro-active. But this is hard if you don't really know what is going on and is planned behind the scenes. And after the last experience, where I had offered help quite actively, I wasn't too sure if this help was evenwanted (went down the same path last time when a new GUI was planned). And of course, all this research and UX design work would have taken some time and delayed the release of LS 2.5.

Well, now we have to see what we can still fix with this GUI. I found a few flaws when I was working with it. Can't remember from the top of my head now, but mainly the very inconsitent navigation concept is annoying. Many options are missing where you would need them, it is not clear how to really get to certain places, etc. But those problems are very structural. I have to admit that I was very enthusiastic when I saw the new interface, because visually it is a good step ahead (even if not as modern and up to date as I would have liked). But then the everyday usage comes in and the flaws of the new design show.

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago #132099 by DenisChenu
Hi holch,

All information must be provided : to do : don't do same error for next major release ;).

ANd yes : basic usage of survey admin seems lost here.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #133965 by first
Replied by first on topic User interface for designing surveys
holch says:

...that show that the GUI was designed by someone who usually doesn't create surveys or works with Limesurvey.

Agree!!!

Survey Designer and Programmer
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #133986 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic User interface for designing surveys
Which won't change, will it?
Or should the developers take some time off and use a few survey tools for next 2 months?

If you try to implement a typical customer satisfaction survey in LS 2.06, LS 2.5 and a common survey tool in the lower price-range.
LS 2.5 will need more time than LS 2.06 will need more time than a competitor survey tool.
The intention with LS 2.5 was to close the time gap between the competitors (SaaS). LS 2.5 might help to attract news users which are now more attracted by the visual first impression. But if tested thoroughly it will gets bumpy. When LS 2.06LTS will no longer be offered, things will heat up again. And a major release will be a lot of work.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #134030 by first
jelo wrote:

The intention with LS 2.5 was to close the time gap between the competitors (SaaS).

I am working with leading saas for more than 6 years and trust me survey programmer looks for features not visual first impression. I am happy as long as my feedback is listened.

Some features missing:
#Column relevance in arrays,
#More than one Other specify text box in answer lists.
#Other specify text box in arrays.
#Ability to freeze desired answer options while other gets randomized(partial randomization).
#Loops
#More quota management capabilities.

If they focus on some of these then LS is already competing. May be they have plans to provide such features as premium addons like comfort update :)

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #134033 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic User interface for designing surveys

OMdev wrote: I am happy as long as my feedback is listened.

And how happy are you?

#More than one Other specify text box in answer lists.

bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7367

Your feature wish list sounds familiar.
Let' say the LimeSurvey devs are familiar with these feature wishes too.
Why do you think Limesurvey is still lacking these features?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #134034 by first
Mixed feeling.. :) ...

Earlier we didn't have enough resources and now we have one so they may be planning to redesign front end first and then work on additional features. But at least they should a mention a tentative versions in which they will address these feature. That give more confidence :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose