Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Individual survey question for a number survey participants

• ConstantinTU
  • ConstantinTU's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #168462 by ConstantinTU
Dear Community,

I am currently working on a customer survey on the LimeSurvey web platform and I'm fairly new to this. Couldn't find anything regarding my problem.
Does the survey platform provide a solution in which it is possible to create an individual question with a varying number of answer options for each survey participant? This should be best done by importing an Excel customer list, as the customer base is in the four-digit range. Is it also possible (from the customer's point of view), after the successful completion of the survey, to access and edit it again at a later point in time?

Thank you for your help

Cheers
Constantin
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 10 months ago #168482 by holch

Does the survey platform provide a solution in which it is possible to create an individual question with a varying number of answer options for each survey participant? This should be best done by importing an Excel customer list, as the customer base is in the four-digit range.

Not quite sure if I understand. Are you referring to a loop, e.g. someone has 3 children, so he gets 3 questions (one for each child), the next one has 5 children, so gets 5 questions?

Or, in a specific question you will show/hide answer options for a respondent, depending on the pre-defined relevance for this specific person?

Both are possible, but solutions are obviously different, e.g. there is no real loop option. You would have to create the maximum number of questions that you would expect.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ConstantinTU
More
5 years 10 months ago #168490 by ConstantinTU
Hi Holch,
thank you for your answer. Yes, I think my question was to general. I'll try to explain it with an example.

So lets say we have specific information about each of our customers stored in a company internal database. The individual question for the customers should be like this:

If customer A opens the survey he is asked to select one of the specific information data we have from our database.

So customer A would be able to select in a dropdown menu:
"CustomerAData XX1"
"CustomerAData XX2"
"CustomerAData XX3"

-> customer B would be able to select:
"CustomerBData YY1"
"CustomerBData YY2"
"CustomerBData YY3"
"CustomerBData YY4"

-> customer C would be able to select:
"CustomerCData ZZ1"
"CustomerCData ZZ2"

and so on...
I also put those examples in the attachments.

Right now I would have to create an individual survey for each customer if I'm not mistaken. Problem with that is the big amount of customers we have.

Thank you very much
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #168491 by holch
You could store this information in a custom token attribute I guess. I am not sure how to transfer this into a question though. Hmmm, will have to think about this. Not sure if you can do it out of the box or if you will need some custom coding.

The customer data for each customer are totally different, right? Or could "CustomerBData YY1" be the same as "CustomerAData XX1" (to be clearer: are they from the same list or are they really just for each customer).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• ConstantinTU
More
5 years 10 months ago #168492 by ConstantinTU

You could store this information in a custom token attribute I guess.

Ok awesome, thanks. I will check that out.

The customer data for each customer are totally different, right? Or could "CustomerBData YY1" be the same as "CustomerAData XX1" (to be clearer: are they from the same list or are they really just for each customer).

You are correct. The data for each customer is completly different. Each data set consists partly of an individual identification number.
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #168496 by holch
How many of those numbers can there be per customer as a maximum? If it is only a few max, you could create as many token attributes as necessary (e.g. max 5) and write those codes into the token table and insert it into the question with expression manager (e.g. {TOKEN:attribute_1}.

• Joffm
More
5 years 10 months ago #168513 by Joffm
Hi, here is something very similar.
Depending on one ATTRIBUTE the drop down is populated.

www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/114...ute_5%7D-on-question

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...3475.lss
File Size:35 KB

Regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • ConstantinTU
More
5 years 10 months ago #168773 by ConstantinTU
Thank you Holch and Joffm,
Your suggestions with the tokens really helped me out. I got it to work how I wanted.
Sadly…

holch wrote: How many of those number can there be per customer as maximum?

…about 90 max. I got it now working with 65 tokens (which I can live with). But there I ran into the next problem. I cannot create so many sub questions for each scenario. This will be massive.

Just for clarification what I mean.

The sub questions for each customer and scenario are the same. So this should be easy, but I want the customer to answer each dataset at one point in time.

Lets say,

Customer A would be able to select in a dropdown menu:
"CustomerAData XX1"
"CustomerAData XX2"
"CustomerAData XX3"
"CustomerAData XX65"

Customer A selects "CustomerAData XX1". The next question appears and asks for for information in a multible short text question type. There are up to 26 fields for each data set, in this case for "CustomerAData XX1".
... more questions follow.

So everything is great until this point.

When the customer has finished those questions for "CustomerAData XX1" he is supposed to scroll up again to the first question and select "CustomerAData XX2". Then he should answer those same questions again just for the dataset "CustomerAData XX2". And so on until he reaches the end of the list in the first question.

Is that even possible with so many tokens(max. 65 dropdown options)? Or does the participant need to restart the survey?

Thank you
Best,
Constantin
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago #168781 by holch
From what I understand, the whole concept makes no sense to me. Fill out the form for one, then scroll up, fill out the form for another, etc. That is not at all user friendly.

So there are customers that have up to 90 of those codes???? You expect them to fill in 90x 65? Your whole thing is extremely confusing.

I just don't get what you are actually trying to do. Can you give a graphic example that explains a little bit better what you are trying to do? I have the feeling that you are over complicating things.

• Joffm
More
5 years 10 months ago #168782 by Joffm
Hi,
sorry, either I am too tired to understand your explanation or too ...

And reading this I fear that you will reach the MySQL limit of columns.
Really?

And so on until he reaches the end of the list in the first question.

Only CustomerA with 65 options, each answered in the first question with multiple short text question (up to 26 fields) will use 1690 columns which is more than possible

So you should revise your survey structure.
Are the questions to your customers really so different? How will you compare the answers of different customers?
Maybe you can use "micro-tayloring" or resart the survey by end-url with a certain parameter 65 times.

So the best would be you provide a sample survey (*.lss)

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #168783 by holch
I read through it again and I think I might have understood. Let's take the worst case scenario: the client A who has codes from "CustomerAData XX1" to "CustomerAData XX65", or in other words, this client A has to go through the loop 65 times. And for each of these loops there is a minimum of 26 subquestions and there might be more to follow, as you mentioned.

This means you would have to built 65x those 26+ subquestions. This would be a minimum of 1690 columns and most probably means you would run into the column limit of MySQL, which should be around 1000, give and take.

I guess you are better off to create one survey only for one code and give the respondent 65 surveys to fill. Then you just pass the code via token attribute into the survey.

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by holch.
  • ConstantinTU
More
5 years 10 months ago #168786 by ConstantinTU
Yes, I know this not really user friendly. I'm just trying to get all the information we need.

holch wrote: Let's take the worst case scenario: the client A who has codes from "CustomerAData XX1" to "CustomerAData XX65", or in other words, this client A has to go through the loop 65 times. And for each of these loops there is a minimum of 26 subquestions and there might be more to follow, as you mentioned.

You are correct that's the idea behind it.

Joffm wrote: Only CustomerA with 65 options, each answered in the first question with multiple short text question (up to 26 fields) will use 1690 columns which is more than possible

Yes I'm afraid this will happen.

attached a sample (*.lss)

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...1476.lss
File Size:86 KB

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose