Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is my survey anonymous?

• latnahc
  • latnahc's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #129029 by latnahc
Replied by latnahc on topic Is my survey anonymous?
Hello.
All the participants of this discussion agreed that a survey could appear as anonymous even if it is not.

The problem is that this information, obvious for all of us, is not expressed at all in the manual.

It is written, for instance :
"Anonymized responses?: This allows you to determine whether responses to your survey are matched up with information from your surveys tokens table, or kept 'anonymous'. The default is 'No'. If you choose 'Yes' then your survey is set to radically anonymize responses - there is really no way to connect answers and participants. Even the admin can't link response data and participant/token data."

In addition, in real life, it is socially quasi impossible to express doubt about the administrator, especially at work.

There is no warning about the fact that the user have to trust about anonymity without any proof and that he/she can be tricked. :woohoo:

This important limit should appear in the manual and should be known by the participants.

This question involves the ethics of limesurvey.
The reality is that it is, until now, impossible to have an anonymous survey (really anonymous, as I can do with papers, not maybeanonymousiftheadministratorishonest) AND to control that each user fill it only once. It is a scientific result.
And it's lying to pretend the contrary.

Errare humanum est :S , perseverare diabolicum ! :evil:
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by latnahc.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #129035 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Is my survey anonymous?
Paper surveys are not anonymous. Really. It is just as risky as with Limesurvey in Anonymous mode. If they want to trick you, they trick you.

The anonymous mode means that it is almost impossible for them to connect personal data with survey data. However, if they use a token, you can not see if it is in anonymous mode or not.

I can understand that this is a tricky part, but this is basically the same problem for any survey tool (e.g. you can register IP addresses via Javascript, etc.). With paper there are similar tricks that you can do if you want to. Just so you are aware.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
8 years 4 months ago #129047 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Is my survey anonymous?
lternative solution :
- Create the token (witjout information)
- Print little papers with the link and each token
- Put it in a hat
- Distribute

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose