Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Stop update notifications for all users (including instable versions)

More
8 years 5 months ago #128416 by d902
I just upgraded to limesurvey206plus-build151109. There are upgrade notifications at the top of the admin panel for all users (not just superusers), including the present one for the next unstable release. It's fine if I see these, but there's no reason everyone should. The link just does on the update page, I'm assuming because they don't have permission to access that page, but showing the link is not helpful.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 5 months ago #128428 by DenisChenu

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #128432 by LouisGac
Just close the notification clicking on the close button

More
8 years 5 months ago #128436 by d902
OK, but ...

1) It would be nice if that close button was actually visible. I completely missed the tiny nearly-white "x". Now that you've pointed it out, it works fine. It's nearly invisible in the screenshot as well, by the way, so it's not just my template or something.

2) The old system had (and your current manual on the website still shows) a choice about the types of updates to look for, allowing me to ignore unstable ones. If you're going to display the message to everyone, as the bug report indicates you've decided, then there should at least be a way to ignore versions that I don't imagine get installed on a lot of live servers.

3) The message includes a link for everyone. Informing everyone is debatable, but offering a dead link to non-superadmins is obviously an actual error.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
8 years 5 months ago #128441 by d902
Turns out that #3 is a pretty trivial change in the view for _update_notification. I just added a superuser check to the whole section that shows the three types of updates, but it would be easy to show different text, with or without links, for different users, or show different types of updates to different users.

I guess I can even get behind the idea of showing security update notifications (with or without links, as appropriate) to everyone, but not unstable (and maybe regular) updates.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #128450 by LouisGac
One of the greatest LimeSurvey's problems today, is that there is way too much out of date LimeSurvey installations in the world.
More
8 years 5 months ago #128453 by d902
I understand, but prompting users without permission to update to open links that are just blank pages isn't going to help with that. And removing options for customization that used to be there isn't going to make the rest of us happier either. I'm not saying I won't update, or even that I don't want to see (some of - security especially, but stable as well) the updates, just that it should be a little more targeted.

Anyway, I've hidden the notices in my own install, so there's no further need for this thread to continue if you feel dead links for inappropriately permissioned users aren't a problem.
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #128461 by holch
Louis, believe me, I agree totally. One of our biggest problems is that people come to the forum asking for help for installations that are 1.9x and even lower. We can't really help them, because who still has one of those installations running? None of the regular forum helpers, that is sure. And it doesn't make sense to try to fix things that are already fixed in newer versions. So loads of unnecessary work in the forum because of this.

But I agree with d902: It doesn't really make sense to show the update message to everyone. I could accept that major updates are shown, if we really must, even to everyone. But unstable releases really should not be shown. Actually not even to the administrators. Unstable releases should be rather "pull" than "push".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose