Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Migrate Surveys?

• Helenmd
  • Helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #127970 by Helenmd
Migrate Surveys? was created by Helenmd
Hi,

The server that currently houses our LimeSurvey installation is being retired, and our technical team are looking to build a new server that would house the latest version of LS.

My question is this: Is it possible to migrate survey results (not just the survey structure that I can currently do via the Export tool)?

Current version is 1.91+ Build 10494 and we'd be looking to migrate the contents to Version 2.06+ Build 151018.

Many thanks in advance
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #127998 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Migrate Surveys?
Wow, first of all, congrats for upgrading from this ancient build... 2010... ;-)

I personally would only move what is really, really necessary. I am not sure if it is possible to upgrade directly frorm 1.91+ to 2.06. Maybe someone else can give information on that.

I personally would do a backup of the database and store it away somewhere. I probably would also create a copy of all LS files in your current installation.

Then I would setup a local test installation somewhere and I would use a copy of the old database as database. Then I would try to upgrade. Either direct or in steps.

Then you can see what happens and if something goes wrong you still have your old installation.

Once you feel that the old database runs well with the new installation, you can create your production enviroment.

But if you export as LSA, you should be able also to export and import whole surveys:
manual.limesurvey.org/Exporting_a_survey...y_archive_.28.lsa.29

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Helenmd
  • Helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #128397 by Helenmd
Replied by Helenmd on topic Migrate Surveys?
Thank you holch. I'll certainly give this a try.

Apologies for the delay in replying, I did get an email saying that I'd had a reply but I've been caught up with an urgent project so only now have managed to read through it.

I'll try this out now and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Edit: I've managed to export the sql database, but I'm not sure how to import it. Would you be able to advise?
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Helenmd. Reason: updated post rather than creating a duplicate
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #128403 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Migrate Surveys?
you would need to import the database on the new server into mysql. Usually tools like phpmyadmin help you with that. But this depends very much on your hosting environment.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #128404 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Migrate Surveys?
Hi Hellen,

If it can help you, I just used the last version of the comfortUpdate server to build for you a package to update from 1.91+ Build 10494 to 2.06+ Build 151109 (the very last build). You can download the package here :
comfortupdate.limesurvey.org/old_updates...ate-10494-151109.zip

Once you downloaded it, extract it somewhere in your computer. It should create a directory called limesurvey-update-10494-151109/.
Just copy all the files/directories inside of it, and copy them in the root of your LimeSurvey installation. Once you'll connect to LimeSurvey again, it will update your database to the last version. Then, you'll have an up to date LimeSurvey installation.

Everything should just work fine. But, as said by holch, it's better you backup everything, just in case.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by LouisGac.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose