Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

After upgrade to Debian Jessie - cannot connect to update.limesurvey.org

• jasonweir
  • jasonweir's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #123161 by jasonweir
Just updated my install from Debian Wheezy to Jessie which included updates to php and apache2.

Everything looks good in Limesurvey except when I go to use Comfort Update, I get the following message.

The LimeSurvey ComfortUpdate is an easy procedure to quickly update to the latest version of LimeSurvey.
The following steps will be done by this update:
Your LimeSurvey installation is checked if the update can be run successfully.
Your DB and any changed files will be backed up.
New files will be downloaded and installed.
If necessary the database will be updated.
Checking basic requirements...
Change log
0 could not connect to the host "update.limesurvey.org"
Everything looks alright. Please proceed to the next step.

If I revert back to Wheezy I don't see this message.. Any ideas?

Limesurvey Version 2.05+ Build 150520
Server version: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)
PHP 5.6.9-0+deb8u1 (cli) (built: Jun 5 2015 11:47:09)
Copyright (c) 1997-2015 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2015 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2015, by Zend Technologies

Much Thanks,
Jason
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by jasonweir.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 7 months ago #123171 by jelo
What is the difference when it comes to clicking "Check now" to search for updates?

I haven seen a lot of problems with checking for update. All my testinstallations stopped finding new updates.
I still think that these problems are on the update server and not on the Limesurvey installation. It could be related to the relaunch of the website of Limesurvey.
Limesurvey Version 2.05+ Build 150520 is the last build for the 2.05 branch. After that a update to 2.06 should be offered by Limesurvey.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 7 months ago #123175 by holch
Updated today from 2.05+ and the server was found without problem. If I check now, it just says it is up to date.

So my server had no problem connecting to the server.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #123183 by jelo
After updating a 2.06+ testinstallation by hand to build 20150730 I got a message that a new build is available.

Comfortupdater got a timeout and an error message 31.07.2015 10:55 CET.

object(stdClass)#561 (3) { ["result"]=> bool(false) ["error"]=> string(16) "no_server_answer" ["message"]=> string(176) "
504 Gateway Time-out
nginx
" }
No server answer !
We couldn't reach the server, or the server didn't provide any answer. Please, try again in few minutes.

##

Since I don't know how many installations are hitting the server for an update the problems for 2.06+ versions reaching out for updates might be solved. And the current error is just temporary since a lot of concurrent connections are hitting the update server.
I will report back.

Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by jelo.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #123185 by LouisGac
Could you please try again and tell us if you still have this problem ?
More
8 years 7 months ago #123188 by jelo
I was able to get a connection to the updateserver and the update to 20150731 was completed.
This might be releated to this resolved bug: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9802

But there seem to be some builds which no longer will be able to get an update till you update manually to a newer build.
E.g. these testinstallation were updated via Comfortupdater for a long time.

Current results from the Comfortupdater:

Version 2.05+ Build 150520 showing:
Last check: 31.07.2015 12:58:55 CET
There is currently no newer LimeSurvey version available.

or
Version 2.05+ Build 150508 showing:
Last check: 31.07.2015 13:03:15 CET
There is currently no newer LimeSurvey version available.

This behavior is since weeks. There is no timeout or any restriction on networkside.
A 2.06+ installations on the same infrastructure worked as mentioned above.
I reported this behavior when 2.05+ Build 150620 was released.It was a feature request, since I thought it is an intended behavior to skip 150620 as an update, when 2.06+ was marked a stable.
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9699

• jasonweir
More
8 years 7 months ago #123191 by jasonweir
I have no issues checking for new versions that check seems to work correctly as it doesn't error and changes the date stamp of the last check.

It's when I click the "Use Comfort Update" button I get the following message.

"0 could not connect to the host "update.limesurvey.org""

-J
  • c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey GmbH Employee
More
8 years 7 months ago #123194 by c_schmitz
If you cannot connect to update.limesurvey.org then most probably a firewall is blocking the request. This could be a firewall locally installed on that server or a general firewall of your provider. It is always a good idea to ask the provider if you are unsure.

Jelo: I tested with 150508 and 150520 and both builds offer me an update once I check so I can only assume that something similar is happening here, too.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
  • jasonweir
More
8 years 7 months ago #123197 by jasonweir

c_schmitz wrote: If you cannot connect to update.limesurvey.org then most probably a firewall is blocking the request. This could be a firewall locally installed on that server or a general firewall of your provider. It is always a good idea to ask the provider if you are unsure.

Normally I would agree - this is a virtual machine and I took a snapshot before the OS upgrade - if I revert back to that snapshot I have no issues with the upgrade. This eliminates any firewall (not on the server). I guess there could have been a host firewall enabled during the upgrade but that is unlikely as other browsing works as it should.

Is there a way I can debug the update process and see exactly where it's failing?

# nslookup update.limesurvey.org
Server: 172.26.13.28
Address: 172.26.13.28#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: update.limesurvey.org
Address: 46.4.84.4

wget update.limesurvey.org
--2015-07-31 08:49:15-- update.limesurvey.org/
Resolving update.limesurvey.org (update.limesurvey.org)... 46.4.84.4
Connecting to update.limesurvey.org (update.limesurvey.org)|46.4.84.4|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: index.html

index.html contains 1 word "false"

-J
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 7 months ago #123203 by DenisChenu
Can you try with

wget update.limesurvey.org

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • c_schmitz
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #123206 by c_schmitz
The contents of index.html is correct.

The request is done here:

application\libraries\admin\http\httpRequestIt.php Line 383

You could try to activate the debug mode by changing the variables in the class header, line 48 and line 50
PHP docs say that it the error level 0 may occur if it cannot initialize the local socket for some reason, but debug log might tell you - keep us posted.

Best regards

Carsten Schmitz
LimeSurvey project leader
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by c_schmitz.
More
8 years 7 months ago #123210 by jelo

c_schmitz wrote: Jelo: I tested with 150508 and 150520 and both builds offer me an update once I check so I can only assume that something similar is happening here, too.

Since I don't know what you changed in your backend I don't know if something changed concering ports / security layers.
I haven't found any issued on server side. Since I control the complete server I should be able to find something.
I even installed server and limesurvey 2.05+ 150720 from scratch to see if the update would work. Nothing.
As I stated above the LS 2.05+ 150708 is on the same server / webstack as the LS 2.06+. After bringing LS 2.06+ via manual update to 150730 the comfortupdater worked after the second try (which didn't worked with the older 2.06+ build). The LS 2.05+ 150708 still don't show any new release. Same webstack, different reaction. And since the comfortupdater of LS 2.05+ 150708 worked find till that build and till the server overhaul of Limesurvey.org I still think the is a little issue which might is overlooked. If most people are fine it might not be worthy to track down this issue, but we all know the update behavior of many users/admins. They might just don't care since the update routine isn't showing any errors but just the message that no newer update is available.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose