Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

URL does not work

• thomas7
  • thomas7's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #116202 by thomas7
URL does not work was created by thomas7
Hello everyone

I have a simple question, I suppose. However, I couldn't find an answer in the manual or in the forum. I created a very basic survey just to test if it works. I've activated it and I got an URL for my survey. If I use this URL on my computer it works perfectly fine, however, if I give it to other people, they can't access the site. It's saying that the page might be down. Do I have to do something with the URL I got from LimeSurvey?
The topic has been locked.
  • aesteban
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 2 months ago #116203 by aesteban
Replied by aesteban on topic URL does not work
Are you sure the name of the host of your URL can be resolved in internet? It seems a DNS problem
  • thomas7
More
9 years 2 months ago #116205 by thomas7
Replied by thomas7 on topic URL does not work
Well, I got the URL directly from LimeSurvey.. I'm not sure what you mean with the host of my URL. Do you mean LimeSurvey? Or ddo I need to set up an own URL?
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago #116210 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic URL does not work
You install limesurvey on your workstation ?
If yes, LimeSurvey is a web services, like wordpress (or facebok) etc ....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • thomas7
More
9 years 2 months ago #116211 by thomas7
I installed LimeSurvey with Bitnami on my MacBook Air. So, yes it is web service. But how do I generate an URL that I can send to other people in order for them to complete the survey?
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago #116214 by DenisChenu
Go to monip.org/ , copy paste number shown and go to
http://ipshown/

But YOUR macnookair need to be :
- Open
- Any firewall stopped
- Any router send 80 port to your macbook air.

You computer is not really web server....

Some explanation : yunohost.org/#/index_en / en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_server

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • thomas7
More
9 years 2 months ago #116218 by thomas7
That did not work.

I simply need an URL for the survey that I created. I got this one: http://localhost:8080/limesurvey/index.php/844664/lang-de-informal It does work on my computer, but not on others or on my mobile. How can I get an URL that works for everyone?

Appreciate the help!
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 2 months ago #116220 by DenisChenu
It's not a LimeSurvey issue ....

Your IP is a number give us by your ISP on the net
Replace localhost by "your IP"

http://YOURIP:8080/limesurvey/index.php/844664/lang-de-informal

BUT : firwall/routeur etc ....

Maybe best is to use limeservice ....

Look at : manual.limesurvey.org/Installation#General

The following user(s) said Thank You: thomas7
  • holch
More
9 years 2 months ago #116227 by holch
Replied by holch on topic URL does not work
As for any other web application: If you want it to be accessible to others through the internet you need to install it on a server that is accessible via the internet. Your Macbook most probably (and hopefully!!!) is NOT.

And even if it was, I don't think it is a good idea to run a production survey on a normal computer. You should rent some webspace (ideally with a proper domain) and install Limesurvey there. The local installation is good for developing the survey locally, but then you should export it and import it on the product server, that should be accessible via the internet 24/7. I am sure that you don't want your Macbook run 24/7 connected to the internet and open for access from outside.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
9 years 2 months ago #116228 by holch
And given that you seem to have very little knowledge on how the web and web applications work I would also recommend to go for a hosted Limesurvey service like Limeservice.com, where you don't need to worry about installing the web application, keeping it up to date, etc.

If you wan't to go the harder way and install it yourself on your own server, find a hosting company and purchase web space or a VPS and install Limesurvey there. Then upload your survey that you created locally. It is not too complicated, but you will need to do some research on the basics of how web applications based on PHP/MySQL such as Limesurvey work.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• thomas7
More
9 years 2 months ago #116239 by thomas7
Alright, thank you guys. I will use a different program, where I won't need these kind of skills to create a survey. But thanks anyways!
  • holch
More
9 years 2 months ago #116240 by holch
For Limesurvey you don't need these kind of skills either, if you go with a hosted version.

But for any online survey software the computer where it is installed needs to be accessible via the internet, if others should be able to respond via the internet. That is just how it works.

So the difference with another program might be, that it doesn't offer you the option to install it locally for testing or on your own server for production. Most other tools (at least the affordable ones) are SAS (Software as a service) and hosted in the cloud. This is basically what Limeservice.com offers. Have a look, the prices are OK, in my opinion.

I prefer to install it on my own server, as I can control the domain, etc. better. But for that you need to learn a little on how web applications work. Not a big deal, but the basics. Actually, when you have a webspace that supports PHP and MySQL, installation is quite easy (the installer has become quite good and where you needed to adapt configuration files some years ago, today you go trough a visual installation process).

What you also can do is go with Bitnami hosting. They will spin up your Limesurvey instance and you probably don't have to do much more than what you did on your Macbook.

But running the survey from your MacBook via the internet, while not impossible, is most probably quite complicated and will involve a lot of network configuration stuff, DNS, router configuration and your MacBook would have to run 24/7. You probably need also a fixed IP for your Internet connection, which can be quite expensive. Webspace you can get for 5-10 Dollars per month.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose