Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Display number of questions depending on device/browser

• tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
10 years 4 months ago #101059 by tammo
Curently the questionnaire displays a num=ber of questions according to what you, as the designer, decides: all in one, group by group or one by one.

We have come in a situation where people will use many different devices: large screens to small mobile screens.

Some designers use the help of scripts that find out what device/browser you are using and after that the software may behave differently.

I could think of the following two examples:
  1. If people open a questionnaire on a big (define big) screen the questionnaire serves the questions group by group, but when a user opens the questionnaire on a small screen (mobile phone), the questionnaire serves the questions one by one.
  2. On a big screen all questions are served, on a mobile screen, some questions are not shown. I specifically think about the ranking question, which is OK on a big screen, but becomes a mess on a small screen.

Any thoughts on this?

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 4 months ago #101067 by holch
I don't think this is possible in Limesurvey, at least not without a major change in source code, because as you said, you define the display mode in the back end.

Personally I think the best way to show a questionnaire is usually question by question anyway.

One thing that could make sense is not showing certain questions due to the type of device (but then how do you analyze the survey, this is gonna be a mess in consistency). What might be a solution is to have a script, that reads the type of device and writes it into a hidden question. Based on this hidden question you can use conditions to hide certain questions.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
10 years 4 months ago #101086 by tpartner
holch is correct - you cannot manipulate a single survey this way.

I would use 2 (several?) surveys. The respondent could be sent to a remote PHP file that could detect user agent and redirect to the "mobile" or "desktop" survey.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
10 years 4 months ago #101089 by Ben_V

What might be a solution is to have a script, that reads the type of device and writes it into a hidden question.

Yes! and there is an old related post about this here ;)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
8 years 4 months ago #128420 by delfin
Guys Actually I find the performance on the ranking question less than optimal even in laptops. It's to hard to drag and drop. You need to be too exact. I've used other drag and drops that are more... I 'm not sure if the term is responsive or less strict but are easier to use. Probably it's worth taking a look at how this option performs. Lime survey is the only survey platform I found with this Question type which is awsome. But the performance or trying to answer it can be a pain. Specially if you have several subquestions or answers like my survey.
  • DenisChenu
  • Away
More
8 years 4 months ago #128429 by DenisChenu
Hi,

No solution for question By question / Group by group mode (but have some css/js to show one question with a group by group view)

For question condition : in the @todo list of git.framasoft.org/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-...erAgentInfo.php#L177

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose