Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to create a question with the option to add another line?

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 5 months ago #126688 by holch
OK, first of all (off topic): I really like the layout of this project. Looks very nice and professional.

Here a few comments that don't have to do with the actual problem: I wouldn't show the "this survey contains XXX questions", because actually, most people won't see that many anyway. This is really the absolute maximum. So I am not sure how much this information helps anyone.

Then for the questions "If so, desktop/documents/music/videos or all?" and "If not, do you agree any locally stored data will not be backed up?" I would show them only when "Does the new user require redirected folders for logging onto other PCs?" is marked "Yes" (set a relevance equation). Because otherwise you might get inconsistent information. E.g. "No" to the first question and then contradictory answers to the following question that don't even apply in this case. (there are a few other "if so" questions. Those I would always just show depending on the answer of the previous question like you did with question 8 and the following "if so", but actually I would get rid of "if so" then).

What is not very clear is why question 7 only shows when 6 is "no".

OK, now I made it to the end but I am not quite sure what the question is? Besides the comments above, they questionnaire seems to make sense to me.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
  • DOwen
  • DOwen's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #126695 by DOwen
Thank you for your reponse holch!

And thanks for the comments and compliments, appreciate it! :)

I will remove the 'this survey contains XXX questions', as I agree its of no use.

Thanks for the heads up on the questions, will look into this. Not sure whu question 7 only shows when 6 is No at your side, because they both display here? Strange.

It's worth bearing in mind that these questions are subject to change, and the question types will most definitely change. I was given the questions from another department, but they'll need to be re-worded.

What needs to happen next is I will need to create 30-50 sets of questions, similar to what I've shown in the survey, all with roughly 5-25 questions inside them. They will vary depending on the item type selected in the dropdown. ie, depending on what item is selected in the dropdown, a different set of questions will appear underneath.

This is going to be laborious but I would say that adding these question lists to the same question group is not going to be very organised and going to make things very difficult for myself. There would be hundreds of questions in one question group!

So I thought perhaps it would be better to keep each set of questions in a question group. However I'm assuming this means a different page per question group, and I'm also assuming this would mean the initial dropdown question would be on a separate previous page? So would it be possible to display a question group within the same page? ie when I select a certain item type inside the dropdown, the relevant question group appears underneath. Can this be done?
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #126700 by holch
Unfortunately the concept of "page" doesn't exist in Limesurvey.

You have 3 options:
- Survey all in one (not going to recommend this for you... ;-) )
- Question by question (not going to recommend this for you either)
- So you just have the group by group option. So you need the question groups to create some kind of "page" concept, as you are doing right now. There is no way to display more than 1 group on a page (except for all in one, where all groups are on one page). So that doesn't really help you much.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #126701 by holch
Tested the question 6/7 issue again: What happens is that they both show at the beginning, but when you click "Yes" in Q6, Q7 disappears, when you click no, it comes back again.

• DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago #126703 by DOwen
That's really odd as I can't emulate that same issue here! When I click Yes on 6, all of 6's sub questions appear between 6 and 7, so 7 appears to drop down as expected. Hmmm.
  • DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago #126704 by DOwen
Aha. So... sounds like a question group per page is the only answer. It will spoil the UX of the form I guess, but looks like the only sensible option!
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #126709 by holch
Sorry. My fault. There are so many questions between 6 and 7 and there are greyed out questions directly after question 7, that I thought question 7 disappeared. instead it just moves out of the viewport with the subquestions of 6 appearing... I thought those were the questions that came after 7. Sorry for the confusion.

• DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago #126742 by DOwen
Aha thought that might have been the case! It's OK :)
  • DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago #126758 by DOwen
OK so I've run into an issue with this...

At the moment I'm trying to add each set of questions (a set per item type), into question groups of their own. So I set a relevance equation on each one of those groups to have that particular group displayed next when the relevant dropdown option as been selected in the previous question.

However, there's a problem, if the user wants to add more than one of the same item type, then this wouldn't work as I'm guessing it would just load up the list of questions that have already been answered.

As well as this, there's no way of logging what items have been selected and what questions have been answered for that item, mid-survey.

I'm beginning to think that LimeSurvey was not the most ideal solution :( Any help please? Thank you in advance!
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #126760 by holch
Well, what you are trying to do is quite complex and I guess any tool that is not specifically programmed for this specific need. I don't know any tool out there that will allow you to do what you are trying to do they way you want to do it out of the box. If i would have to guess, Limesurvey is probably still the one that is getting closest - at least in the open source world. For a system like this, tailored to your needs you probably spend a good amount out on the market.

However, somehow you lost me. I am not quite sure if I really understand your current problem, so there is little help I can offer.

If you want to offer the option to add another item, you need to include a new set of questions for that. As there is no loop feature. So if you want to give your respondents the chance to include up to 5 items, you need to have all questions that are for the items at least 5 times and hide/show them with condition/equations, similar to what you were doing before.

So if you have 5 different item types and you want to give the opportunity to add at least up to 5 of the same item type, you will need to have 5x5 item options.

To be honest, I am not quite sure how your current process is (and also not when this tool will be used exactly. But for example, if I want to add just a new user with an email, it is quite annoying to go through all this. But then, I don't know how it works at the moment and what it is exactly that you are doing.

• DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #126961 by DOwen
Hey holch, thanks for the reply.

I understand, being open source, I guess LimeSurvey is still the closest option.

It's OK, sorry its difficult to explain briefly what I am trying to achieve! I see what you mean about the 5x5 option, that would have been the best route. However, I have just had a discussion here and we would like to alter the questions to allow the user to specify more than one of the same item in the same question group, so they don't or rather can't fill in another question group of the same category.

This simplifies things a little. The idea of this survey is just to collect all details for the first initial installation. Any further changes after the installation is complete are dealt with using a different process outside this survey.

But now I have another issue. Now that I have moved the question lists to question groups (separate pages) of their own, it means that I either need the survey to go back to the page with the dropdown to choose an item type (is this possible?), or add the dropdown to the bottom of the question groups, however this would mean a unique code, and referencing every single unique dropdown question in each question group's relevance equations.

Any thoughts please?
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by DOwen.
  • DOwen
More
8 years 5 months ago #127255 by DOwen
Sorry to add another note but just wondering if anyone is aware of a possible way of the user being able to jump back to a certain page several times throughout the form?

Can't figure this out at the moment and its all on hold until I have a solution...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose