Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

From 2.05 to latest

More
4 years 11 months ago #181998 by hvgard
I have an related simple Q: what is the latest LTS version of the LS2 and LS3 versions.

We run 2.6.7 LTS assuming it is the latest LTS and will stay supported for a LONG time.

The information on the dowload and professionals support versions seems a bit outdated on incomplete. It is hard to find LTS versions.

Harold van Garderen
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 11 months ago #181999 by jelo

hvgard wrote: I have an related simple Q: what is the latest LTS version of the LS2 and LS3 versions.

We run 2.6.7 LTS assuming it is the latest LTS and will stay supported for a LONG time.

The information on the dowload and professionals support versions seems a bit outdated on incomplete. It is hard to find LTS versions.

While you wait for an official answer, I allow myself to add my current view of the situation:

LS 3 will become LTS, when LS4 is released.

There are two LS2 branches:
2.6.7 was the successor of the branch "2.06".
2.73.1 was the successor of the branch "2.50"

2.6.7 LTS was the last LTS, but is no longer supported by LimeSurvey GmbH

There is a maintained branch by Denis
github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-Sondag...ree/2.06_SondagesPro

2.73.X is no longer supported by LimeSurvey GmbH.
But Denis is sometimes fixing things there too.
github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-SondagesPro/tree/2.73

Let's wait for the official statement.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
4 years 11 months ago #182000 by hvgard
Replied by hvgard on topic From 2.05 to latest
I'm confused.

I assume LTS stands for SUPPORTED in this list:

LTS - Long-Term Support
STABLE - feature-complete and longer public exposure and testing
RELEASE - feature-complete but not fully tested.
BETA - not feature-complete and not fully tested

As far as I know there is no 3.x LTS version (there is a Stable release) so 2.6.7LTS is the latest LTS. Version 2.x needs to be supported for many years (at least 3 preferably 5) to come. Even if there will be a 3.x LTS.

Harold van Garderen
More
4 years 11 months ago #182003 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic From 2.05 to latest

hvgard wrote: I assume LTS stands for SUPPORTED in this list:

I understand your confusion.

Since you're running 2.6.7 LTS, you may take a look the fixes (including security releated fixes) done by Denis:
github.com/SondagesPro/LimeSurvey-Sondag...its/2.06_SondagesPro

hvgard wrote: Version 2.x needs to be supported for many years (at least 3 preferably 5) to come. Even if there will be a 3.x LTS.

The GITHUB of LimeSurvey GmbH is offering LS3 and LS4 as branches. The older branches were taken over by Denis.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 11 months ago #182016 by holch
Replied by holch on topic From 2.05 to latest
Yes, LTS stands for Long Term Support. However, the word "Long" is relative. And the LTS has been actually supported for relatively long, at least for LS conditions.

However, the support, even if LTS for 2.6.x is over. The only currently supported version of Limesurvey is 3.x.

In Limesurvey, there were never LTS versions. However, due to the "disaster" of 2.50 they decided to provide bug fixes for 2.6.x for a little longer than usual and called it LTS.

I am not sure if there will be ever a new LTS, because from my understanding it was rather a reaction to the issues of the 2.50 version than anything else.

Well, no. As Jelo already mentioned, the Long Term Support for this version has ended. The only officially supported version is 3.x at the moment.

Denis has a fork of 2.6.x LTS that he still supports though.

So the 2.6.x LTS has been EOL for quite a while already.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
4 years 11 months ago #182032 by hvgard
Thanks @holch for the answers, now I'm even more worried. For quite a few reasons:

- As a business user I expect there is always an LTS version.
- When that is replaced, I expect (a) an upgrade path and (b) a new LTS version.
- It is very nice that Denis supports v2.6.7 LTS, but I assume I'm a Limesurvey customer, not Denis (don't take it personal please :-)).
- As a customer I got - to my knowledge - no message 2.6.7LTS is not longer supported. And I'm also not aware that such a proposal was done by the Limesurvey team.

I think we need a kind of user group or customer group to discuss such decision and take decision together. If for example this turns out to be a €€ question we should discuss that too.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: pellyadolfo
More
4 years 11 months ago #182033 by jelo

hvgard wrote: I think we need a kind of user group or customer group to discuss such decision and take decision together.

I recommend to discuss that with Carsten Schmitz of LimeSurvey GmbH directly. He is the person which decides what coredevelopers work on.
Holch and Denis are not part of LimeSurvey GmbH. So write directly to support@limesurvey.org or open a support ticket.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, hvgard
More
4 years 11 months ago #182034 by jelo
I would recommend to focus on LS4 and get into a discussion there.
I was unsuccessful with my thread here:
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/116264-limesurvey-4-wip

As long as the customer base (paying users) is heterogeneous, the roadmap of LS4 is unclear.

If you based your business on LimeSurvey LS 2.6.7, I recommend to contact Denis and make a supportcontract.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #182035 by holch
I am only stating what I know (collected from various sources, as it is quite difficult to get clear statements from the Limesurvey GmbH). It doesn't mean that I like or don't like it or that I stand behind this decision or not.

I don't know in which way you are a customer of the Limesurvey GmbH. If you have a subscription with Limesurvey Pro or something similar, it is probably a good idea to discuss your concern with the Limesurvey GmbH.

If you are not a paying customer, I don't know how much impact your concerns will have on the decision making process there.

But anyway, it is always worth a try. When I am concerned about the direction that LS is taking, I voice it. I am not sure if the forum is the place where those that make decisions in the Limesurvey GmbH will see your concern. I would try to send an email asking about those things.

Here in the forum, most of us are just community members that help out. From time to time someone from the Limesurvey GmbH shows but, but you must be lucky.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard, pellyadolfo
  • holch
More
4 years 11 months ago #182037 by holch

Holch and Denis are not part of LimeSurvey GmbH. So write directly to support@limesurvey.org or open a support ticket.

Yep, just a voluntary moderator in the forum, doing this for fun. At least for me. I don't know how much impact Denis's voice is heard when it comes to decisions. But he is not part of the Limesurvey GmbH either.

Just like Jelo said: If you have based your business on Limesurvey, you might want to speak to Carsten, as only he might be able to give you a little bit more information on the direction and how you can ensure your needs are met in the future and how you can be more involved in the project.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard
More
4 years 11 months ago #182038 by hvgard
Exactly. We have invested lots of time, money and effort on developing templates and tools around it for 2.x, 2.x.x. The TFR stuff is great for that but as long as that is not ported to 3.x or 4.x and stable and supported we will stick with 2.6.7 and need an LTS. We have customers that run continuous for 7 years now and one that utilizes a 5-server scalable cluster with a tested load of 5000 visitors per minute. I can't risk to gamble with that .....

PS: Still LS is the only survey system that supports this, hence we need a SUPPORTED LTS.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: pellyadolfo
More
4 years 11 months ago #182041 by hvgard
Haha, another confusion :-). One expects the company to keep an eye on the forum too. BTW very happy with how we support each other here. LS-GMBH could never achieve that. So I really like this GMBG/Forum combi!!!

Harold van Garderen

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose