Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

From 2.05 to latest

• pellyadolfo
  • pellyadolfo's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 6 days ago #181602 by pellyadolfo
From 2.05 to latest was created by pellyadolfo
Hi, I have a hostgator hosting. I have installed limesurvey throught cpanel but the existing version in cpanel 70 is 2.05, which seems to be a bit old.

I found a button 'check now' on Global Settings > Overview and Update, to check for new versions. When I click the button, /i get a message 'Error when checking for new version: 500'.

I intend to do some random surveys but not in a monthly basis. I would like to know my options:

* the first obvious idea is try to upgrade from 2.05 to latest in my hostgator hosting. I do not know if fixing the 'check now' issue, my 2.05 installation will offer me this upgrade. Is this worth to investigate or is just to notify about the new releases? I do not think ComfortUpdate would upgrade from 2.05 to latest, is no it?

* the second idea would install latest version myself on my hostgator hosting. I could download latest release and deploy the files with Filezilla and somehow install the database with phpMyAdmin. Is this an smooth process or should I be prepared to find plenty of issues? Experiences deploying with cpanels?

* if a deploy my own latest version in hostgator, how often should I expect to need an upgrade?

* Next option would be creating a Free LimeSurvey Pro, which I already did, but is limited to 25 responses per month. This could be ok for a while. Is this 25 responses limit per account or per app in each account?

* If some month I would need more than 25 responses, I would need to upgrade to a Basic plan. If the next month again I do not need a Basic plan anymore, can I downgrade from Basic to Free or from Expert to Basic to Free?

Thanks in advance, too many things to learn before making a decision.

Adolfo
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 days ago #181604 by holch
Replied by holch on topic From 2.05 to latest
I would always go for the own installation and never use the "one click apps", Softalicious, etc.

Upgrading from 2.05 directly to 3.x isn't recommendable (not even sure if it is possible). You might have to go through 2.5x before, etc. I don't think it is worth the hassle. Just install a clean new LS based on the latest version.

Installing Limesurvey has become really, really simple over the years with an almost automated process. You upload the files (make sure they are all uploaded, sometimes the FTP programms skip one or the other file and LS has many files). I usually upload the zip file and then unzip it via the WebFTP in Cpanel. Upload is a lot quicker and the chances that not all files are uploaded is also zero.

In Cpanel you just need to create a new database, database user, etc. During the installations process LS will prompt you for the details and it is fairly straight forward. LS will create all the necessary tables for you in this database. You can also use a database that already exists, Limesurvey will allow you to install tables with a prefix, e.g. lime_ so it won't interfere with other applications. However, I personally prefer to keep things in separate databases and as long as you don't have a very small contingent of MySQL databases, I would install it into its own database.

From then on, you can use the Comfort Update (you have to pay a subscription) or you do the manual updates, which are also not overly complicated (basically just upload the new files and overwrite the old ones. There is a description in the manual. But I find the Comfort Update really comfortable and it might be worth to spend the money (not affilated with the provider of the Comfort Update).

The free Limesurvey Pro has everything that the other versions have (afaik), except the limit of 25 responses per month. Once you reach the 25 your access to the backend will be blocked until the period is over and you have another 25 responses for free. This is a bit annoying, because you can't access the responses during this time. So if you are sure you won't reach the 25 responses limit per month it is OK, but as soon as you reach it, you have to wait until the next period starts, you can't even download the collected answers to analyse. You'll have to wait until the month is over and you get another 25 responses for free. Then you can access your other responses (no matter how many) and download them.

I don't know if you can upgrade and downgrade on a monthly basis. This is something you might have to look up in the FAQs or ask "Support" (top navigation).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: pellyadolfo
More
5 years 6 days ago #181616 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic From 2.05 to latest

pellyadolfo wrote: Hi, I have a hostgator hosting. I have installed limesurvey throught cpanel but the existing version in cpanel 70 is 2.05, which seems to be a bit old.

cPanel isn't offering LimeSurvey in their distribution, it's a third party tool chosen and installed by HostGator. Since you're on cPanel 70 LTS, they might haven't updated that tool.
cPanel 70 LTS will be EOL at the end of march. Hostgator will then need to update to cPanel 78 (which is the new LTS). Perhaps you thirdparty installer get's an update too.

You should start with a fresh LS 3 installation and not upgrade your old LS 2.05 version. Will not work out in a smooth way. I second holch's advice.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • pellyadolfo
More
5 years 5 days ago #181649 by pellyadolfo
Replied by pellyadolfo on topic From 2.05 to latest
Thanks you, great advises. After writing this post, I found a reason to consider staying on 2.05 at least until i get more familiar, which is the availability of templates.

I tried this 2.05 template and looks pretty good with a bit of customization: www.toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template

Are there enough templates available for 3.x versions?
  • holch
More
5 years 5 days ago #181650 by holch

I found a reason to consider staying on 2.05 at least until i get more familiar, which is the availability of templates. I tried this 2.05 template and looks pretty good with a bit of customization: www.toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template

This is a little bit like saying: "I'll stick with Windows 95. It doesn't receive updates or security patches, so it is potentially unsave, but I like the way it looks...". ;-)

Yes, templates have changed, you can't use the one you are mentioning anymore, but from what I know Toolsforresearch are working on a version for the newer LS. Not sure though how this works.

If you will stay with 2.05 despite not recommendable, at least search for the Fork from Denis, who still applies bug fixes to this old version, I think.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• tpartner
  • Away
More
5 years 5 days ago #181651 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic From 2.05 to latest

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, holch, pellyadolfo
  • holch
More
5 years 5 days ago #181655 by holch
Thanks Tpartner for providing the correct link!

• pellyadolfo
More
5 years 5 days ago - 5 years 5 days ago #181656 by pellyadolfo
Replied by pellyadolfo on topic From 2.05 to latest

holch wrote: This is a little bit like saying: "I'll stick with Windows 95. It doesn't receive updates or security patches, so it is potentially unsave, but I like the way it looks...". ;-)

Correct, but there are risks on jumping straight to 3.x without plan B. First, installation could be time consuming, it is an unknown. Second I can realize, after, that there are not templates and have to dedicate long time to customize. Having 2.05 initially deployed, with templates, looks to offer a transition time to get familiar with 3.x. It depends on each one requirements.

Great responses guys. I will analise them more in deep.
Last edit: 5 years 5 days ago by pellyadolfo.
  • holch
More
5 years 5 days ago #181658 by holch
I agree with the part of not jumping directly into LS 3.x without plan.

I always recommend to install the new major version in parallel, then you can test, see if everything works as you want on your server, play with it, etc. and then I would gradually move all new surveys to the new installation and let the old one run out.

But I just wanted to highlight that you have skipped one major version of Limesurvey already (2.5x) and thus your current installation is pretty old. So I highly recommend to use the fork from Denis, Tpartner provided the link for this.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 days ago #181661 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic From 2.05 to latest

holch wrote: I agree with the part of not jumping directly into LS 3.x without plan.

Yes, but jump from 2.00 to 2.6lts (Mine) still can be done.

After you can jump to 3.16 : less issue

Don't go to 2.73 : bad idea …

PS : warning for mi fork : i fix php7.2 issue when i found (a=or reported); I fix security if : i found it (or reported) or if the fix from 3.X can be allpy (or have same risk).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
5 years 5 days ago #181666 by holch

Yes, but jump from 2.00 to 2.6lts (Mine) still can be done.

That is what I am recommending, if not going to the latest, at least get your fork to take care of the worst security issues and bugs.

However, those version numbers totally confuse me. Wasn't your fork based on the 2.05 version? 2.6 Lts looks like the version with the rewrite, with new templates, etc., basically the 2.7, but I guess 2.05 was renamed to 2.5 at one point? Still doesn't make sense to me... why would a project do that. Totally confusing.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 days ago #181674 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic From 2.05 to latest

holch wrote: However, those version numbers totally confuse me. Wasn't your fork based on the 2.05 version? 2.6 Lts looks like the version with the rewrite, with new templates, etc., basically the 2.7, but I guess 2.05 was renamed to 2.5 at one point? Still doesn't make sense to me... why would a project do that. Totally confusing.

2.06 was renamed to 2.6.0

Why doing that : to miove to semver : semver.org/

Then 2.50.0 was up to 2.6.0 :)

But right : it's better to don't have a 2.50.0 and move directly from 3.06 or 2.6 to 3.X (and the current one to 4.X)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose