Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

translation with 3rd party tool?

• rikatechdoku
  • rikatechdoku's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 5 months ago #176770 by rikatechdoku
translation with 3rd party tool? was created by rikatechdoku
Hello there,

is it possible to export - and afterwards also import to the same survey (!) - all the text strings of a survey in a format that supports easy translation with a 3rd party tool?

thx & regards, S.

I'm using the hosted LimeSurvey Pro version (at least 3.15) on LS servers, AND also the locally installed xampp version as well (at least 3.15).
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 5 months ago #176771 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic translation with 3rd party tool?
When need it : i do it with TSV export.

You can filter by lang and send only needed lang to translator.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
5 years 5 months ago #176773 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic translation with 3rd party tool?
There is no special import/export tool for translation (e.g. XML .xlf/XLIFF file format).

You might use the Tab-separated-values format (*.txt) and edit with a spreadsheet software.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • rikatechdoku
More
5 years 5 months ago #176774 by rikatechdoku
Replied by rikatechdoku on topic translation with 3rd party tool?
thx to both of you!
will check tsv ex-/import out.

I'm using the hosted LimeSurvey Pro version (at least 3.15) on LS servers, AND also the locally installed xampp version as well (at least 3.15).
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 months ago #176789 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote: There is no special import/export tool for translation (e.g. XML .xlf/XLIFF file format).

If i don't make error , there are NO specific tool for survey translation ?
The only “standard” i know is www.triple-s.org/ and i don't think there are transation tool for it.

You know other standard ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
5 years 5 months ago #176802 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic translation with 3rd party tool?

DenisChenu wrote: …

If i don't make error , there are NO specific tool for survey translation ?[/quote]What some survey tools offer, is to export all error and help messages with the surveycontent as well. That way you can control and translate every aspect of a survey in one step.
No PO-files. No patching and overriding translations.
BTW: SurveyMoneky is on PO-Files as well.
help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/Multilingual-Surveys

The import/export formats supported by tools with translation management is mostly CSV/XLS and somestimes XLIFF (the standard for exchanging translations).

novisurvey.net/Help_Files/en/ImportAndExportOfTranslations.html

help.surveygizmo.com/help/export-fields-for-translation

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
5 years 5 months ago #176803 by holch
Replied by holch on topic translation with 3rd party tool?
Yes, often the survey tools have Excel files to do the translations in. It is not very liked by professional translators, because Excel isn't the best tool to translate in, but it offers a good structure for exporting and re-importing such files.

While the PO-files work fine, I am not a big fan of it, because it is so "far" away from "normal" users. Most people can handle a Excel file, now PO needs another piece of software, etc. which is another hurdle for normal users. I assume there is a specific advantage for the developers using PO files, otherwise I would scratch them and go for CSV.

I am sure the willingness to work on translations has greatly increased when LS implemented the translation portal. The web based approach is so much more convenient (even for me). I can just open the web app, translate a couple of strings that are not translated yet and then move on to something else. This reminds me of the fact that I haven't translated untranslated strings for a while.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 months ago #176826 by DenisChenu

holch wrote: …
I am sure the willingness to work on translations has greatly increased when LS implemented the translation portal. The web based approach is so much more convenient (even for me). I can just open the web app, translate a couple of strings that are not translated yet and then move on to something else. This reminds me of the fact that I haven't translated untranslated strings for a while.

Yes, but here it's for LimeSUrvey core language string.

You think we must improve manual.limesurvey.org/Quick-translation ? (i think this … it's totally broken currently with big survey …)

Did you try github.com/olleharstedt/MassAction for translation ? (in 2.73) unsure it work with multilingual survey (and need allow Permission restricttion for translator only (then without mandatory/relevance etc …)

• holch
More
5 years 5 months ago #176871 by holch
Replied by holch on topic translation with 3rd party tool?

Yes, but here it's for LimeSUrvey core language string.

Of course, this is a different beast. I just wanted to give this as an example, how an easy process can impact on those things and how important it is to make it as simple and convenient for people as possible.

Did you try github.com/olleharstedt/MassAction for translation ? (in 2.73)

No, I haven't. I don't use Limesurvey in production. So there hasn't been a need for translating within Limesurvey. I know how it theoretically works, but that's about it. No real practical experience.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• rikatechdoku
More
5 years 5 months ago #177115 by rikatechdoku
Now I finally tried the tsv format.
The problem with it is that it exports line feeds inside text as real line feeds. When I try to import that in Excel, it creates new rows, even when I set it to recognize text marked with "...". So, this does not work, because the line feeds mess up the Excel table.

Do you guys never have this problem, or how do you handle it?

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 months ago #177117 by DenisChenu
I never use MS excel it's a junk tool … always us LibreOffice Calc.

Strange about line feed : seomthing are updated ? Before it replace line feed by {linefeed}

• rikatechdoku
More
5 years 5 months ago #177118 by rikatechdoku
Yes, I am also not perfectly happy with MS, but it is not really my choice in this case.

Thx, for the info, then I will just deal with it manually atm. Might write a small script for myself if this continues to be a problem. atm other more important things.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose